The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

starting and idle issues..HELP!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RL95gst

Probationary Member
Feb 19, 2013
naugatck, Connecticut
lets see ill try to explain as good as possible.. when i go to start my 95 gst the engine cranks over really really slow if at all..sometimes grinds as it starts (if it actually does) and the car stalls out. Car will start sometimes if i give gas at the right time, but still stalls after i let go of the pedal. Also if car is running and i rev up the engine or start to drive car stalls out as soon as im out of gear or apply no gas... please help no idea at this point... new battery..dont know what to try next!

I've only jumped it once..then figured it was a bad battery. It started for a couple weeks with new battery but still cranked very slow. It still stalled if I revved up the engine though.

I know that when my alternator belt was loose I would have stalling issues and a week battery as well. or if the voltage regulator is going bad, you could be charging, but not enough. I would check the belt and make sure it's tight and then maybe have it load tested. Most auto parts stores can load test them on and off the car. That would explain the slow start and stalling but it would not explain the grinding..

The grinding actually sounds as if your holding the key too long in the start position.. Like trying to start a car that's already started.

I would get the alternator checked. I agree that the occasional grind is probably holding the key over too long. When my alternator in my other car went to crap it took the battery with it... It happens.

Also, as a second thought, try checking out your fuel pump... If you can get it to start when you pump the gas at the right time and it stalls when you are not actively pushing on the gas pedal that may be your problem...

I'm gonna change the starter first then if that doesn't work I'm gonna do the fuel pump..hopefully that works out! The only thing that's weird Is my battery light and ebrake light come on if I shut off my car and start it again.. But goes away if I rev the engine. Don't know what's up with that

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back