The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Starting a 0 mile motor, that's been sitting

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexGsxCummins

Proven Member
May 31, 2014
Bremerton, Washington
So if you where in my shoes what would you do.. I got a 6 bolt motor with the shell I bought that he said was assembled by a shop and blueprinted but has sat for 14 years in his garage. I turned it over by the crank and it moves just fine. I'm obviously going to order a new timing belt kit, should I just cross my fingers and spin her over?

After it starts I’d let it warmup then do an oil change right away as well. Really if the motor was sealed there really shouldn’t be any issues with it. I had a 7bolt in my car that sat for a similar time period. I want to say like maybe 15 years. There’s guys that pull cars out of junkyards and barns that have been sitting out to die and get them to run haha.

Motor oil is a consumable. Even if the motor hasn't ran a single minute or mile, 14 years have passed with that oil sitting there. Not only do you not know what type or brand of oil's in there, but it's gone way past its optimal parameters. Oil degrades, that's why service manuals call for either changing it after a specific amount of driven miles, or after 1 year, which ever comes first.

Personally I'd change the oil before attempting to fully run it. And I'd follow Jeremy's advice and see if the oil pump has still got any sort of assembly lube in it.

drain oil, put new stuff in, take off timing belt, spin pump with drill, reassemble.
if you feel that worried, as said, take off oil pump and pack it with some assembly lube to "further" protect the gears but they wont be beaten up by a couple unloaded revolutions with a drill.

if it were me, id be disassembling everything and getting it checked anyway because people can spout shit all they want when they sell a motor. i dont trust anyone in that regard

drain oil, put new stuff in, take off timing belt, spin pump with drill, reassemble.
if you feel that worried, as said, take off oil pump and pack it with some assembly lube to "further" protect the gears but they wont be beaten up by a couple unloaded revolutions with a drill.

if it were me, id be disassembling everything and getting it checked anyway because people can spout sh** all they want when they sell a motor. i dont trust anyone in that regard
Exactly, what used dsm doesn't have a fully-built, 1000hp, built motor?

my largest concerns would be is everything really in spec and when they did the work was everything cleaned properly or just hosed off..
turn it over, fresh oil or not, and you might as well have filled the pan with sand..

dont trust sellers. rule #1.

So if you where in my shoes what would you do.. I got a 6 bolt motor with the shell I bought that he said was assembled by a shop and blueprinted but has sat for 14 years in his garage. I turned it over by the crank and it moves just fine. I'm obviously going to order a new timing belt kit, should I just cross my fingers and spin her over?
When it sat did it have oil or in it or other engine preserving fluids in it capped off so it could set for that long?

I strongly recommend completely breaking down the engine and checking everything over. Ring gaps, ptw clearance, check for concentricity cylinder to cylinder, bearing clearances. Make sure the cylinder finish itself is suitable. Check the deck to make sure it’s flat and has the proper surface finish for the gasket your running.Never take chances ..... not worth the risk

As most have said.. Check every major rotating component. Do a tune up, new wires and plugs,
Drain oil, change the oil, and filter. replacing timing components, make sure everything is lined into specs, but before tightening the tensioner and pulling the pin, rotate(with drill) the oil sprocket gear to prime the oil, and then set your marks and put your timing belt on (line up the points).

BE SURE TO NOT DAMAGE THE OIL SPROCKET GEAR. The edges are very thin, make sure nothing is in the way.
Check your radiator coolant too.
Check clutch fluid as well.
Always double check everythin to be on the SAFE SIDE.
My cars been sitting for almost 8 years and I'm about to turn it on in a week or so. Built the whole block, but did spray down every rotating component with anti rust lubricant.

Goodluck

Pic of oil gear sprocket of chipped edges

Attachments

• 20200612_191236.jpg
    20200612_191236.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 91
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back