The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

420A Starter not making any noise

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad Bell

Proven Member
Aug 15, 2014
Levant, Maine
So I just finished putting my engine and transmission back in my eclipse gs. It's a 420a. And the starter will not work. It makes no noise what so ever when I turn the key. I have no idea what the problem could be. The only noise I hear is a slight click noise from a relay under the dash. But the starter itself won't make any noise. If anyone could help out with what could be wrong that would be great.

Does the battery still have a good charge on it? It might be a starter solenoid. If you take it down to the auto parts store, they can test that for you.

Yes brand new battery, everything works fine except the starter. I thought it was a bad ground but I already checked that out.
Take it out and bring it to auto zone to have it checked. I bought mine there last time and had to return it for a different one right after because it was defected smh

I thought mine was bad a while back and it turned out to be the signal wire frayed enough and broke off. When you turn the key all the way over it allows power to transfer from 12v source( ignition i believe)to the starter using the signal wire. Its the only smaller wire going to the starter and it has a spade terminal that pushes on. For mine, i made a short 3-4 inch extension with a spade terminal and connected it to the existing signal wire. Basically just extended it a little. Starters are very simple.
Check power
Check ground
Check signal wire from switch to starter
You can easily check signal wire. Take a couple foot piece of wire and connect one end on the starter signal terminal and briefly touch the wire to positive side of battery. If it starts cranking, something is wrong with the signal wire.

Check the little clip that plugs in..they happen to break..also trace the wire back it also can snap..try tapping on the solenoid. I know it's kinda old school and shade tree but it's always worked for me when I didn't wanna pull a starter and bring it somewhere to get tested

I thought mine was bad a while back and it turned out to be the signal wire frayed enough and broke off. When you turn the key all the way over it allows power to transfer from 12v source( ignition i believe)to the starter using the signal wire. Its the only smaller wire going to the starter and it has a spade terminal that pushes on. For mine, i made a short 3-4 inch extension with a spade terminal and connected it to the existing signal wire. Basically just extended it a little. Starters are very simple.
Check power
Check ground
Check signal wire from switch to starter
You can easily check signal wire. Take a couple foot piece of wire and connect one end on the starter signal terminal and briefly touch the wire to positive side of battery. If it starts cranking, something is wrong with the signal wire.
Okay I will try all of this tomorrow and will keep you all posted
Thank you for the responses

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back