The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Starter keep breaking HELP

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alky_dsm

10+ Year Contributor
May 22, 2011
Providence, Rhode_Island
I have a 95 Eclipse GSX just swapped the engine about a month ago and the tabs on the starter where the bolts go through keep breaking i am on my 4th starter and dont want to install it to have it break again anybody has had this problem before? Any help would be much appreciated.

I thought the same thing but the third starter I made sure it wasn't too tight and made sure the starter entered flush

You can basically set the starter in there flush with just your hands..Then feed in the bolts in and hand tighten if you can..Then tighten them up by a wrench or socket..Ive never broken the tabs on the side off..

And you can't take the starter back after you install it so that blows as well..

the starter will work for about 5 - 7 days before the tabs break (actually it is only the top tab)

Last edited:
Check your trans bolts and make sure there all there and tight and that the trans sits flush against the block. Pull the mpi relay and have somebody crank the engine and you visually check to make the sure the start isnt wobbling or moving. Also make sure you have the correct bolts, your bolts might be too short and not sitting in the starter all the way. Other then that i really have no clue, thats a weird problem.

sounds more like an alignment issue causing stress on the started. I could see 1 failing from age and the alum ears being weak but not 4 of them. is the shim plate installed? are you possibly mixing a starter up or maybe the wrong one originally and have been putting the wrong style/size back in.

I have had a vibration on the car since the swap but I thought it was the urethane mounts.

Thanks for all the replies, figured out the problem a bolt that goes from the engine to the transmission in the back of the engine was missing put the bolt in and the state cranks better and the vibration is almost completely gone. Thanks to everyone again

I think I had the same issue, only I wasn't missing a bolt, I used the incorrect bolt. The engine side of that bolt is threaded so for some reason I thought it was similar to a caliper bolt. Threaded at the top, fits into a boss in the transmission. The bolt I bought was just long enough to start pushing the transmission away from the block, but not enough so I noticed it. :ohdamn:

After pulling my transmission off I noticed the starter had some gouges where it must have been pulled into the flywheel. This was when I realized something was amiss, and found the correct bolt after some further investigation.

Engine runs a lot smoother when it's not taking chucks out of the starter!:D

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back