The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Starter grinding with 6 bolt in 2g auto. Kiggly's Kit

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BooStairs

Probationary Member
Oct 14, 2021
Las Vegas, Nevada
I just finish my 6 bolt into 2ga auto swap with kiggly's flexplate and adapter plates, starter was working fine for the first couple start attempts and then started making this horrible grinding noise. recharged the battery and attempted to start again just for it to keep making the grinding noise. replaced starter and it didnt fix anything. It hits the pinion gears when i crank it over by hand and that only went away when i used a washer to move the starter slightly back. is there a shim I should be aware of or what could be going wrong?

bench tested the starter and it seems to work fine, not sure why this is happening out of nowhere.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You just swapped the 6 bolt in? Or swapped to auto trans? You installed/replaced the pilot bearing?
i swapped the 6 bolt in, and yes installed the pilot bearing with the one in the kit

Alright, this isn’t my specialty, just trying to help clear things up for when someone who knows sees this. I looked up the adapter kit and it mentioned grinding down the lower corners of the rear main seal plate. Did you do that too?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back