The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Interior painting [Merged 7-9] paint trim plastic plastics

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i still like to see one done well, i would NEVER paint mine..i love my tan leather on black.

Painted interiors are not for hondas. If you do it right, in tasteful colors it will looks just fine on any car. Mine are black and silver, which comes stock in many other cars these days...
If you don't like painted interiors, do not paint yours and do not post in this thread.

91dsmeclipse said:
i just started spray painting my interior i have before picks and once i finish it ill post the picks i finished the rear of the car now im up to the dash and the door panels its comming out really good so far.

And dont forget to post picks when it rubs and peels and stickies up anywhere from 1 to 6 months from now.

im painting my interior with krylon fusion on the plastic pieces and using duplicolor vinyl and fabric spray paint. since my whole interior is gray and black im changing it to the black pieces are going to be blue,and the grey pieces are going to be black its comming out awsome i love how it looks. its going to match my engine bay perfectly

Yea don't listen to these guys telling you it will peel or flake. I could only see it peeling or flaking if you constantly leave it in direct sunlight or do not clean the plastic before you paint.

this should be on the tech articles!!!

SOMEBODY PUT IT UP THERE!!! :laugh:

Nice write up. If you add in some Bulldog Adhesion Promoter just before primer your results will greatly improve. This product can be found at O'rielly's or Walmart, its in a purple can with a white cap and a bulldog on the front. Just make sure you get the adhesion promoter and not the bumper stripper, they are in similiar cans...I personally think krylon is junk, but I use urethane based automotive paint for my stuff. I would use dupli-color before I would use Krylon if the option is available. Peace

Brett

This is how I did my cloth rear seats and it turned out great:

you need some dupli-color vinyl and fabric spray, carpet cleaner, and clean damp cloth and a stiff brush.

The dupli color is in a spray can, if your looking for black, do NOT get the gloss black, unless its for vinyl. On fabric it clumps really bad, and looks horrible. Get the Ebony (Color 510 I believe) instead

1) OK first step is to get some warm water, with a little fabric cleaner in it (i used some left over rugdoctor cleaner, diluted to instructions; but dawn would probably work fine) and clean the living crap out of them. let it dry in a dirt/dust free place (ie not in your garage) for at least 24 hours. After that vacuum them really well to get any dust off. mask off using your typical tape and news paper (watchout, the tape doesn't stick too well, so be delicate)

before you spray make sure its throughly dry!

2)Ok spray a light coat evenly over the whole area, following contours. do this 2-3 times then let dry for 10-15 min. Go feel it. yuck. its horrible, like a scotch brite pad. so take your clean cloth and get it damp with clean warm water. Wipe the whole painted area down. You have to do this within 20 min or it will cure, and you'll never get rid of the sand paper feel. I ruined a back seat like this.

3)Anyways, you'll notice a bit of the color came off on the cloth, thats fine. let it dry completley, and repeat step 3 until uniform color is achived (may take 20+ coats depending on what color your going to and from).

4) Let dry for 24 hours. then go over it with a stiff, dry brush. should be soft as stock, not lumpy or scratchy.

I suggest you test this a few times on some junkyard items, because it does require a bit of finnesse, and if you screw it up, its very uncomfortable.

How would i go about painting accent pieces in my interior? i dont want to get it professionally done, i want to do it myself

take it out of the car, rough it up with some sandpaper,clean it with rubing alcohol, spray a few light coats of paint waiting about 10 minutes between coats. After you have the desired thickness of paint and it is fully dried, spray a few light coats of clearcoat on top of it, using the same technique as when painting.

If done properly it should last a long time. I used that technique on my interior over a year ago and i have no chipping or scratches.

You can also search and find some more in depth write-ups.

yea, forgot to mention.... i used dupli-color paint. It comes in a spray can. you can get it at autozone, advanced, or one of those places.

don't forget pics

I would use dye. Its flexable and just seems to be better. It is avavable at most auto parts stores.

Urban_S said:
I would use dye. Its flexable and just seems to be better. It is avavable at most auto parts stores.

The dye is great for use on the seats and on the dashboard. However the dye often chips if its on plastic (that is if it even bonds).

I am about to go through the same thing while the car is parked for winter.. so the best stuff to use would be vinyl dye (like SEM vinyl dye) for the dash and anything else vinyl like the console cover, and armrests, and dupli-color for the plastic pieces?? I guess the door inserts can be easily re-upholstered with some vinyl from the fabric shop... that is if those things can be easily separated from the door panels while they are removed...

deecee101 said:
I am about to go through the same thing while the car is parked for winter.. so the best stuff to use would be vinyl dye (like SEM vinyl dye) for the dash and anything else vinyl like the console cover, and armrests, and dupli-color for the plastic pieces?? I guess the door inserts can be easily re-upholstered with some vinyl from the fabric shop... that is if those things can be easily separated from the door panels while they are removed...

SEM dye is great for use on the dash and seats. I used the dupli-color version and its holding up great. Dupli-color plastic paints work extremely well on the plastic when prepped properly. The door inserts can easily be removed and re-upholstered. Once you get the door panel off you will see hoe easy it is to remove that peice.

Remember... pics are always super duper

96_talon_tsi: did you use some sort of clear coat after the dupli-color vinyl dye to get it shiny like that or is it really like that or is it just the flash on your camera...??

I did use 3 layers of clear coat over the dash. That helped harden it up a little, and makes it easier to clean. On the back seats however i did not clear coat. I wanted to keep the seats as soft and flexible as possible.

Well I see alot of people painting their interior pieces and decided I wanted to do the same thing, but wanted a smooth finish. I didnt want to use fiberglass because of the fumes (garage is connected to the house). And I saw on the speed channel some guy used primer to fill in the dash and all interior panels. Well I searched google and found this small pdf file. I thought it might be useful so I hosted it and am posting it here,

Must have Adobe acrobat to view. Hope it is useful. :thumb:

Interior painting pdf file.

He says to sand it all off with a 400 grit paper. Having learned from experience you will be sanding forever if you start out with a 400 grit paper. I tried starting out with a 220, sanded little trim peices forever and still have tons of texture on them. The eclipse trim peices have a lot of texture on them.

I have found that starting with a 180 grit paper will remove texture very quickly. Then progress finer (220,400) up until about 600 or 800 grit. This should not only remove the grain quickly, but as you progress you will also remove any harsh scratches made by the previous grit. After sanding with the 600 or 800 it should be nice and smooth. I have found that after that a layer of sandable filler primer will cover up any scratches left. After filler primer "scuff" it with the 800 again to promote paint adhesion. Spray the paint and wetsand with 1500. You can then clearcoat and wetsand with 2000 grit and it should give a super glossy finish. If you arent goign for the super glossy skip the 2000 grit step and just spray some clear to protect it.

I should have some pics of how this looks on my center console in a day or two.

How can you get not such a shine with the black, the oem black peices dont look anything like the peices in your profile. What products do you recommend using and also wouldnt it be more beneficial to keep the texture on the peices so you dont get such a smooth high gloss look?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back