The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Stand Alone Tuning

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

studio

Probationary Member
Dec 13, 2003
warren, Michigan
Iv been on dsmtuner for about 2 weeks now reading non stop and searching everything info i needed. i just baught a 92 tsi, right now it only has apexi 3" turbo back n1, and he gave me a big 16g, 660's, etc.

I understand the basic tuning concept, from egt numbers to timing to fuel trims.

which im kinda confused still a little, i thought all you need was fuel and ignition and your good to go, but after reading the emanagment thread about maf and air flow involved in testing in everything just confused me. i though you get your fuel #'s right from adding or aubtracting from some form of piggy back fuel controller, check timing and knock and then your ready to rock.

which brings me to my Q, after hearing about all this bov issue, restrictive maf, fuel cut, blah blah blah. i want to go stand a lone. microtec to be exact.

iv searched and searched and can not find ANYTHING on microtec! any info or links on it would be greatly appreciated!

jake

Originally posted by studio
Iv been on dsmtuner for about 2 weeks now reading non stop and searching everything info i needed. i just baught a 92 tsi, right now it only has apexi 3" turbo back n1, and he gave me a big 16g, 660's, etc.

I understand the basic tuning concept, from egt numbers to timing to fuel trims.

which im kinda confused still a little, i thought all you need was fuel and ignition and your good to go, but after reading the emanagment thread about maf and air flow involved in testing in everything just confused me. i though you get your fuel #'s right from adding or aubtracting from some form of piggy back fuel controller, check timing and knock and then your ready to rock.

which brings me to my Q, after hearing about all this bov issue, restrictive maf, fuel cut, blah blah blah. i want to go stand a lone. microtec to be exact.

iv searched and searched and can not find ANYTHING on microtec! any info or links on it would be greatly appreciated!

jake

I think you _really_ need to start with the basics, before you jump into 'stand-alones'. If your having trouble with the basics now, then you will be completely lost with a stand-alone...

If you can't find 'anything' on microtec, then why do you want to go with that system?!?

Most of the stock system short-comings can be addressed _without_ going stand-alone... Hell the 2G Mas (read 'cheap') flows enough for 400hp, more then your B16G is worth...

Rogue

thanks for the heads up.

all basicly knew how everything worked seperatly but had a few small ends that needed to be tied up which i just recently read in a thread that fixed all of that.

im friends with a microtec distributer so i can get a full stand alone for around 800, easy install uses the harness the stock ecu uses with a few minor extras. I have a few friends who are tuner freaks so i would have support for it. just seems like by the time i get maft, and everything else, and all the extra hassle it sounds like.... i dont know if i want to go that route only to later upgrade to stand alone.

but then i was reading on keydiver sp? and his chips, my buddy also has a 28 pin eprom burner and i found a web site that has the codes i would need.

i dont know, i guess when i think about it all i would need is maft and chip. but then any upgrades or anything i would need it reburned.

and tuning a stand alone couldnt be any harder then maft or safc right? i mean wouldnt you basicly be doing the same thing except having control over timing also?

sorry about going off like this, i know i have hours apon hours of more reading and learning. i guess im just getting a little excited since in 1 week ill have the big 16g and all the supporting mods.

thanks
jake

hmm, well once i found out the price to go maft i said forget it. im buying the microtec, can never go wrong with stand alone. plus its a second car.....

again, any other thoughts by people would be greatly appreciated!
jake

hmm, well once i found out the price to go maft i said forget it. im buying the microtec, can never go wrong with stand alone. plus its a second car.....

again, any other thoughts by people would be greatly appreciated!
jake

No offense, but you have no idea with what you are getting yourself into with a standalone and 0 tuning experience.

well i have the the knowledge now, but i lack the experience. I have a friend who did stand alone on his rx7 and another friend who tuned his 4th gen civic b16a2 supercharged engine. so i have the support i would need, BUT i just found a friend thats selling me a gm maf from a ls1 for 25, found a 95 ecu for 40 so im going to go maft and dsmlink now.

jake

well i have the the knowledge now, but i lack the experience. I have a friend who did stand alone on his rx7 and another friend who tuned his 4th gen civic b16a2 supercharged engine. so i have the support i would need, BUT i just found a friend thats selling me a gm maf from a ls1 for 25, found a 95 ecu for 40 so im going to go maft and dsmlink now.

jake

Good choice. Its a good alternative to the standalone that'll be easier to work with and the web support is great

Originally posted by Mike 99GSX
Good choice. Its a good alternative to the standalone that'll be easier to work with and the web support is great

thanks for the reply. ya dsmlink seems to be really amazing. only thing i dont know about yet is the 1g to 95 ecu swap. which im having a hard time searching, any one know any good sites they might discuss this?

thanks in advance
jake

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back