The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

General Stand-alone ECU’s

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I want to make it into a street/drag 600+Hp car. I’ve already got a list for everything I’m going to get. I’ll basically be redoing almost everything on the car so going with a stand-alone seemed like the best option considering I don’t have an EPROM ECU for my talon so I can’t convert to ECMLink, otherwise I would go with that. Also down the road might do a complete swap to an AWD so it’ll come into use. And I’ll be learning along the way from someone as I will be working on the car with them.

I’ll also be daily driving it for the most part so want to be able to keep a better eye on everything in the car
1g or 2g car? I know of a 2g ECMLink computer that is for sale right now. My son is selling all of his stuff.

I tuned with AEM V2, MaxxECU, Link and SimTek. Personally i have a plug and play AEM V2 for my GVR4 engine and i love it because it can do what i need. I dont say AEM is better than the others but because it is on my car I got more familiar with it.
My advise is if you gonna keep the car for long time and you will do more upgrades in the future, if you have the money buy a standalone and you will not regret it. If you are confident and you know what are you doing I advise also to spend many many hours to learn the capabilities of your ECU and tune it by your self, there is a lot of information out there, its not easy and its risky if you are not careful and you don't have hardware to monitor your engine but will be the biggest investment for you and your car. Bigger turbo, different fuel, bigger or extra injectors, more features... you will be able to tune any change by your self.
Its very important to think what you really need or may need and get an ECU with enough inputs-outputs and features to get you covered.
Alternatively take an ECU that a tuner in your area can tune well.
An ECU it's an extension of the tuner, if you know what an ECU can do and how it responds then you can tune it.

Last edited:
I tuned with AEM V2, MaxxECU, Link and SimTek. Personally i have a plug and play AEM V2 for my GVR4 engine and i love it because it can do what i need. I dont say AEM is better than the others but because it is on my car I got more familiar with it.
My advise is if you gonna keep the car for long time and you will do more upgrades in the future, if you have the money buy a standalone and you will not regret it. If you are confident and you know what are you doing I advise also to spend many many hours to learn the capabilities of your ECU and tune it by your self, there is a lot of information out there, its not easy and its risky if you are not careful and you don't have hardware to monitor your engine but will be the biggest investment for you and your car. Bigger turbo, different fuel, bigger or extra injectors, more futures... you will be able to tune any change by your self.
Its very important to think what you really need or may need and get an ECU with enough inputs-outputs and futures to get you covered.
Alternatively take an ECU that a tuner in your area can tune well.
An ECU it's an extension of the tuner, if you know what an ECU can do and how it responds then you can tune it.

One thing is for sure, AEM V2 is so much easier to use than V1. Just takes some getting used to tuning with pulse width instead of AFRs/VE.

AEM V2 is so much easier to use than V1.

V1 & V2 both use the same algorithms & principles & tune the same way and you can use either Pro or Tuner software for tuning. V2 is just a hardware updated version with a lite faster chip speed & some more memory (& a few parameter name changes).

V1 & V2 both use the same algorithms & principles & tune the same way and you can use either Pro or Tuner software for tuning. V2 is just a hardware updated version with a lite faster chip speed & some more memory (& a few parameter name changes).

Idk. I do feel like there’s a software difference at least. Feels way easier to use. Might just be what you said.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back