The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

420A 2gNT Stalls at stops and idle... still...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kslam1981

Probationary Member
Jan 19, 2012
Madison Heights, Virginia
Ok.. Im about to just run this thing till it throws a code or gets 2 the point where it stalls out all the time...
Rough idle, not extreme, but not smooth either, varies. When coming to stops it starts to stall right as your coming to stop almost as tho it wants to stall out but doesnt. I have replaced plugs, wires, swapped the coil pack, new IAC valve, checked for intake leaks, and cleaned the throttle body.. No change..
Runs fine on the road, but when stopping it acts as tho it wants to die, and the idle sucks.. Oh and cleaned the EGR valve as well.. any suggestions???

shot in the dark but have you tried your fuel filter, also if its having a rough idle I am not sure if the n/t's have a bizz screw to adjust or not but it could be out of adjustment. if it was a boosted car I would guess intake piping leak but in a n/t theres not very many places for it to leak from.

Have you tried the Idle Control Valve? I had the same problem. Removed it. sprayed it with carb cleaner and then blew it out with air and the problem went away. Let me know if this may be it. Or the throttle position sensor.

You might have a leak at the Idle Air control valve. My brother's car had problems with that but a little RTV sealant fixed it right up.

Also, check the capacitors on your ecu.

I have a similar problem but my car runs great - mostly. I get 22-25 mpg and usually it idles nice. This AM I was just driving casually and clutched to shift down from 3 -> 2. I noticed the lights on the dash were red and the engine was not running. Whoops! Popped the clutch quickly and away we went.

This is a rare occurrence but does happen once in a while. I watch the tach when I coast and it drops down almost all the way sometimes when I let off of the gas before it pops back up to 750. It will idle at 750 forever and have no problems with that part.

i know my front O2 sensor is bad but that doesn't figure to me to have a lot to do with this specific issue. I also read about possible vacuum leaks but this is not all the time but just now and then. Any of the suggestions above possible culprits as well?

I just put $150 into it at a shop to get an emissions waiver and they didn't mention any other issues.

What mods have you done to the car? Any size difference in injectors? I say this bc my talon had a similar problem. I come to a stop light and i would have to catch the car by popping the clutch and then the car would idle rough. My problem was that the injectors i had were to big for the tuning software to handle at the time. the moment i went back the one i had on there the problem stop. Keep us updated and good luck.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back