1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

St Louis MO machine shop

Posted by Just4Crusin, Nov 21, 2013

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support VR-Speed Factory
  1. Just4Crusin

Just4Crusin Probationary Member

Joined Nov 17, 2013
    Collinsville, Illinois
    Well from the sounds of it I'm being told that this perfectly good motor needs to be machined ( decked ) because it's out of the car.
    With only having 115k on it I'm very surprised its so highly recommended. Makes me really think twice about these motors now.

Anyways, I live on the Illinois side of St. Louis and would like a recommendation for a machine shop that knows these motors (4G63T)

Thanks

2. grothe3297venge

grothe3297venge Proven Member

Joined Jan 18, 2011
    Iowa City, Iowa
    They are the professionals, just because you don't "think" what they say is correct doesn't mean they aren't. I think it would be better to be safe than sorry wouldn't it? Added insurance to have both the block and head decked for as close to flatness as possible..

Also why is the perfect good motor out of the car? I really think any shop you go to will say the same thing, it's commonly necessary or highly recommended to have a head or block decked when you are able to..

3. Just4Crusin

Joined Nov 17, 2013
    Collinsville, Illinois
    The motor is out of another car that was totaled due to hail damage.

And the whole added insurance ... Well I can only imagine what it's going to cost to have a machine shop deck this motor then have a shop put it back together. It's a little more then what I thought I'd need to do. I went from buying a complete motor to just drop in, to now the whole thing needs to be tore down, machined, and rebuilt.

I've been around motors for years and I've never heard of the necessity of decking a block just because.

I mite have a 96' GST for sale with a complete motor

4. grothe3297venge

Joined Jan 18, 2011
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Why don't you save yourself some cash and do the tear down yourself. Little self gratification can go a long way. Plus what better way to get to know your own car than doing it yourself?

Also the thing has 115k, be good time to replace some possible worn out parts (ex. Rings, hone, and so on.)

5. Just4Crusin

Joined Nov 17, 2013
    Collinsville, Illinois
    I'd rather have a shop do it that has all the tools and will give me a warranty. The whole getting to know my car , I'm not sure what that's suppose to mean.

6. grothe3297venge

Joined Jan 18, 2011
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Getting to know it - Doing stuff on your own, truly not that difficult if you take your time. Do as you will, was just trying to save you some change. Good luck.

7. KB90TSIAWD

KB90TSIAWD Proven Member

Joined Nov 28, 2011
    Desoto, Missouri
    good luck indeed. there are videos on how to take the motor apart back together time it tune it etc on the tube man! taking apart stuff is easy. take it apart down to a bare block then have it machined its going to cost money man but what motor doesnt. They if you cant find someone, either I or someone else here can find someone to build your motor. I had mine built by a buddy and i just paid him 100 bucks but we exchange favors all the time.

If you really want to meet the local dsmers... check out https://www.facebook.com/groups/226621544158964/

pick up a haynes manual as well LOL.

2K  0

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    16.5 @ 85.1 · 1G DSM

613  0

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    12.563 @ 108.800 · 1G DSM
  8. boost97gst

boost97gst Proven Member

Joined Apr 2, 2012
    st jacob, Illinois
    Theres a shop in granite city MBJ machine. They have a torque plate and have done several local dsms including one that has held 550whp for a few years now. I know this thread is old but just in case people are still looking. Do NOT go to Precision in glen carbon/edwardsville. Horrible work. They dont have a torque plate. Any machinist that touches my 4g has to have a toque plate. right off the bat that tells you they have at least done one before and can get the clearances(ptw i think) right

9. boost97gst

boost97gst Proven Member

Joined Apr 2, 2012
    st jacob, Illinois
    Well............For all those looking through the cobwebs of this site and reading this: MBJ is officially not doing engines anymore. The old man is near retired and his son,which was damn good at 4g's as well, took another job. So.... Im now looking for a reputable builder in the metro east/st louis area

10. Just4Crusin

Joined Nov 17, 2013
    Collinsville, Illinois
    Well crap !

11. BogusSVO

BogusSVO Proven Member

Joined Jul 1, 2009
    Pensacola, Florida
    How about you check the supporting vendors/freelancers on the forum?

They know the engine, and have the tools and equipment to do what you are looking to be done.

12. Spyderman63146

Spyderman63146 Probationary Member

Joined Feb 9, 2015
    St.louis, Missouri
    There are a lot of shops in st.louis but I'm not sure of their experience with dsms

13. kickasskid2087

kickasskid2087 Proven Member

Joined Apr 10, 2008
    Festus, Missouri
    I had a friend at Scp in high ridge do my 4g.

14. Spyderman63146

Joined Feb 9, 2015
    St.louis, Missouri
    I hear a lot of good things about craven performance and pbj racing(or performance w/e) but I doubt they have experience with too many dsms. But if they can make 1500hp vipers not blow up every season they can't be that bad.

15. kickasskid2087

kickasskid2087 Proven Member

Joined Apr 10, 2008
    Festus, Missouri
    We work with pbj ( performance by joe). But no dsm experience and doesn't building motors. Scp does theres and ours (Jmb) motor/machine work .

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  16. Spyderman63146

Joined Feb 9, 2015
    St.louis, Missouri
    What about tuning? Can any of these guys tune a black box ecu? or dsm link if I switch?