The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

SS braided hose and AN hose end assembly like a PRO

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm been bulding thse asemblues for many years. I've tried many different techniques and I've eventually perfected my process. So, time to put it on paper. Here goes.

Tools required:

- Bench vise
- Dead soft hose end vise inserts
- AN wrench
- Hack saw w/ fine tooth blade
- Reinforced packaging tape

The vise inserts are made by Aeroquip. They are great for holding hose ends in place wthout scratching the anodizing and well worth $20 if you plan to do this more than once. Aeroquip FCM3661 - Aeroquip Vise Jaw Insert Tools - Overview - SummitRacing.com

For the hack saw, make sure the blade is new or newer. Heavily used, worn out blades will not cut nearly as clean.

The AN wrenches are like the vise inserts - good to have to prevent scratches and worth having around if you are going to do this more than once. Available individually or in a set.
Allstar Performance ALL11106 - Allstar Performance Hand & Other Tools - Overview - SummitRacing.com
Allstar Performance ALL11100 - Allstar Performance Hand & Other Tools - Overview - SummitRacing.com

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
First, measure out the length of hose that you need, mark it with a marker, and wrap it with the packaging tape.

I use this tape exclusively. I've tried them all, and this is the only one that I'll recommend. It's regular clear tape but with fiberglass strands. It's strong engough to keep the overbraid from expanding, yet extremely easy to cut when cutting parallel with the strands. You can find this at any chain store or hardware store. This is also what the hose manufacturers use when cutting their hose.

Chuck up the hose in the inserts. BTW, these inserts work just as well to retain the hose just as well as the hose ends.

Begin cutting. I recommend to only cut in one direction. Sawing in both directions will make for a messy cut. Only pull the blade across to cut.

In most cases, you left with a very clean cut. On occasion, you will have to trim a couple wires from the overbraid, but that's easily accomplished with some wire cutters.

Next, disassemble the hose end and chuck the nut up in the vice as shown.

Remove the tape from the hose and insert the hose into the nut. *DO NOT LEAVE ANY TAPE ON THE HOSE* Once you have it started, twist it in while applying force. The twisting is important. It's helps it slide in with ease.

Make sure the hose is in all the way up to the threads.

Next, chuck up the assembly as shown.

Lubricate the threads and the nipple liberally. I use motor oil for this, but any almost lubricant should work fine. This will help it overcome friction and assemble with ease.

Time to thread them together.

Thread it all the way until there is virtually zero gap between the red pieces. If it gets extremely tight while only half-way threaded in, then you probably didn't lube it well enough.

And wha-la. A scratch-free hose end assemmbly. The more you do this, the quicker you'll get and the easier it will become. Once finished, blast some compressed air through it to blow out any small debris that make have fallen in during cutting.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back