The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

SRS Light after heater core replacement.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starlord

Probationary Member
Dec 31, 2015
genoa, Colorado
Hello guys,
I am a new member but i have been using this sight for years, and now i have a question that nobody else has had. I have searched day and night all over the web and it seems im a lone duck.

Before we get started lets just get the funny pokes out of the way, i replaced the heater core because i had believed it was out. in fact rust chunks blew out of it so it was going to need done anyways.

Ok to the point.
When i got the car back together the SRS light came on and i checked and double checked that all of the connectors and relays were plugged back in. It puts the car into limp mode, i can only rev up to 1.5-2k rpm? put a scanner on it and no codes from the ecu so we know the issue has to be coming from the srs computer. I ordered a used srs computer and clock spring off of ebay, but before i go ahead and turn the key does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations so i dont lock a code into this srs computer as well?

SRS light should not effect the transmission . That should only effect the air bag . If the car is in limp in then the check engine light should be on . Try driving the car a little to see if the check engine light comes on .

I have a manual transmission, i can only rev the engine until 1.5-2K then hit rpm cutoff. like it is in limp mode. i scanned the computer after i allowed ecu cycle and the only codes i get is the evap codes from the delete i did a while back. runs great doesnt miss or sputter. i can wrap it up to as high as i want until it cycles and the srs light comes back on... I am 99% sure this is an issue with srs considering the car ran 100% before i pulled the dash out.

Are the air bugs plunged in (the passenger and driver side)?,. Is weird that the light comes on after a while...

Just to have it clear, if you connect the srs computer and a sensor or bug is unplugge, the srs ecu will store a code even if after that you connect the sensor/air bug.

it will stay solid after i reset the srs computer. but if i disconnect battery it will reset the cycle and it will act normal until it runs the cycle. I did forget the center plug in steering airbag the first go around so i am sure that the code is locked in hence why i ordered the used computer. but i think the horn stopped working as well so i ordered the clock spring to just in case. i ordered the used computer becuase they go for 15-20 dollars as opposed to a dealers 85 dollars

do you guys have any suggestions before i install and boot up the computer?

The srs computer can not release the code, you need to take it to the dealer, other wise it will throw the code again no matter what you do,.

If you connected the used srs computer with the battery hooked up and then found out the air bug was unplugge, then that was the cause of the computer being lucked with the code.

The procedure to install an srs computer is to disconnect the battery, make sure all sensors/air bugs are connected and connect the computer.

When I did my wire tuck, I forgot to plug in an air bug and a front sensor, the computer throw the code, so I bought a used one, I plugged the air bug and connect the srs computer, then before I starting the key, I double check and found the front sensor unplugged, but that was sufficient to throw the code again even with out turning the key to the on poaition. I had to disconnect the battery and install another used srs computer and all good.

i dream-pt up this thought that maybe a small group of ground wires may not have been put back correctly so would it benefit the community if i do a write up on how to remove the dash? down to the heater core? im going to pull that dash again before i install my new srs parts that way i am 100% pos i dont have to mess with it again. ill take pictures as well.

ok so i replaced the srs computer and that issue is fixed. i still have a rev cut at 25-3000 rpm. i replaced the ecu and i still have it. i had a code saying tps was 100% and i pulled the tps off of my stealth ( same part number), still have rev cut, all i did was replace the heater core, WTF could cause me so much stinking headache???

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back