The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

SRS (airbag) Light on... HELP......

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

92_75i

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 11, 2004
Portland, Oregon
Hey guys,

My SRS light has been on for a while in my 2g and I've never been able to find out why. The airbags have never depoloyed or anything, but my question is, is there a sensor or something I can fix/replace/reset to turn the light off? I've tryed taking it to places to get a code, but since its a 95 I couldn't find a place that can hook it up to my car or they say they dont have the equipment to detect... Anyone else ever had this problem???

Thanks,

-Az- :talon: :dsm:

92_75i said:
Hey guys,

My SRS light has been on for a while in my 2g and I've never been able to find out why. The airbags have never depoloyed or anything, but my question is, is there a sensor or something I can fix/replace/reset to turn the light off? I've tryed taking it to places to get a code, but since its a 95 I couldn't find a place that can hook it up to my car or they say they dont have the equipment to detect... Anyone else ever had this problem???

Thanks,

-Az- :talon: :dsm:

Hey Az.... WRONG FORUM! LOL

Mine was on when I bought the car. My horn wouldn't work, so I took the cover off and cleaned the contacts. I think maybe the connecter was loose or something for the airbag. Once I reassembled it and hooked the battery up, my SRS light was gone. Just my .02

OK, well i kind of have the same problem. The car's history doesn't mention any accidents besides hitting the curb. But When i bout the car the SRS light has always been on. i actually thought it was supposed to be on. the horn still works and have not had any problems at all. So what's the big deal? :)

Thankfully I don't have an airbag in the GSX.

On my Stealth the SRS computer throws a code if you ever try and start it with a bad battery.

The DSM FSM says that it will time those codes out and turn the light off over time but maybe that doesn't work. The other typical problem is the clockspring (for the wiring) on the steering wheel to go bad.

I don't know if regular scanners know how to talk to the SRS computer, so you might have to visit the dealership to get the code read and cleared.

Steve

BTW, your car is OBD-II so you won't have a problem running the codes.

i had a probe GT one time (a while ago) and if my memory serves me right, the SRS light would come on if a headlight or blinker was out.. maybe there is some sort of stupid problem like that..

GSXTuner said:
i had a probe GT one time (a while ago) and if my memory serves me right, the SRS light would come on if a headlight or blinker was out.. maybe there is some sort of stupid problem like that..
DSM's do not work that way. The light means something is wrong with the SRS system.

ddavisaf said:
BTW, your car is OBD-II so you won't have a problem running the codes.

OBD-2 codes have nothing to do with SRS codes. You need the MUT-II scan tool that the dealer has to read SRS codes. The light is on because of some fault with the SRS, such as a loose airbag connector, shorted or broken wire, or a faulty SRS control module. You can't tell unless you know the code, but you can check and make sure all connectors are tight and making contact. It's best to do this with the battery disconnected. Whatever you do, don't go probing any SRS connectors or wiring.

Recently picked up the Actron 9580A (several vehicles) and confirmed AWDPetmitsu's statement. Now, does anyone know if the MUT-II has any other function than just SRS?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back