The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

sr22/Insurance advise

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TurboATM

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 17, 2006
Jacksonville, North_Carolina
here is my deal.

I just realized I dont have a license, and it got me a $652 ticket.

I carry sr22 insurance, and know if I dont have it, or let my insurance lapse, i get my license taken away.

this is my question...if i dont have my DL, do i still have to carry the insurance? Am i able to just park my car and drop the insurance fully until my license deal is cleared up? This month is the last of my 6 month policy, and if I dont have to start the new 6 months right now, that would save me sooo much. (Since I cant drive anyway...)

I know that when I didnt have a car at all, i STILL had to pay insurance as "un-manned" or something like that...(which was going to cost $50 more than just paying insurance on a car that I previously owned, so i just kept paying as a driver/owner of my sold car.)

I called my insurance and they were ZERO help, and were rude about it, for the 1st time in a year of me dealing with them...so Im really lost. FML:confused:

when I got dui I wasnt required to keep it seeing how I didnt have a car to insure but that was in ms about 10 years ago

As far as I know you don't have to carry it.

When I was going to lose my license for a year for going a bit to fast (was my only ticket EVER, and netted me a 1 year license suspension that I got appealed just because of such a flawless record, im lucky) I was told I'd be on SR-22 for insurance either way. But I was told I wouldn't be required to have it if I just dropped insurance.

Unfortunately at the time I owed 5,000 on my mustang and was required to maintain full coverage. However after I appealed it, my insurance has never gone up from my ticket. They've never caught or they just don't care seeing as how I've been clean so far + we have so many people in our family going through our insurance agency - who knows?

SR-22 is simply a form stating you have insurance, so no - you don't HAVE to keep insurance.

...from everything that i have read up on...if you loose your insurance you loose your DL and get hit with fines. And i also read that there is a '3 strike' type thing with major tickets in 3 years...and tonite makes 2. Dropping my insurance would be 3, and could face a 5 year suspension.

..unless i can 'forfeit" my driving (which has already been done for me i guess when the officer took my DL tonight.)

..this officer was in my driveway when i got home, waiting on me. he knew all of my info, and that my DL was revoked, it was f**king insane...He told me i "was running from his partner who was staking me out and who lost me when i turned into the back of my neighborhood to ditch him and try hiding out at my grandmothers house" and wouldnt hear otherwise about how i have no idea what he is talking about, or how my address on the DL matched the house i was parked at AND how i opened the garage door with a remote before he pulled in behind me. (I guess because everyone carries a random universal garage door opener in their cars...)

I take the neighborhood road vs. the normal road every night due to the main road looking like a minefield after our snowstorm demolished all the repaired potholes. I wasnt speeding, and never saw an officer behind me, or any car for that reason. (who was in an unmarked Impala, yea i totally saw that comming up with its 2 blue lights on his rear view) If he was following me for sooooo long, why couldnt he of made the simple turn that I took at normal 90-degree turning speed AFTER signaling the proper 50-75 feet before turning?!?

The sad thing, this officer has been to my house 5 times in the last 4 months looking for 1 of my neighbors, and ive gone out of my way to help him try and bust this guy, we have had half hour casual conversations standing out in my driveway ...He acted like we had never met and i was some hardcore punk trying to avoid him and lie at all cost...I really dont understand the Surfside Police dept...douche bag.

Not sure about PA, but here in SC, if you don't plan to drive the vehicle, you have to surrender the license plate when you drop insurance.

...its not the issue on the plate, is the insurance/sr22.

And i spent the day in jail today. I gathered my $$ to go down to the DMV to take care of everything...and RIGHT outside my neighborhood...the SAME officer just happened to be sitting at the intersection stopped when i went through it. FMLLLLLL. Now, im another 652 dollars in the hole and will have no DL for double the time.

lemm try and help you as much as I possibly can here buddy. I lost my license three years ago in South Carolina and I now live in Lancaster, PA. So I got a little info on both worlds. In South Carolina, Sr22 is required to be carried whether or not you have a license or not, or if you have a vehicle or not. I know, its really stupid, why should you carry insurance if you dont even have a car? Because the gov't considers you a "high risk" because of you losing your license. If you drop sr-22 while you don't have a license or a car in this state, they pop you with an automatic reinstatement fee of $100 and a cool $300 for dropping insurance without state's consent.

Now, in PA, I was first told when I came here that they don't even know what Sr22 is. But, it's the same thing. High Risk Insurance. Now I got pulled over for the first time in three years by a cop without my license. State Trooper nonetheless! I got F'ed. But nowhere in any of the paperwork that I've received have I seen anywhere where it says the requirements to retrieve my license are to have Sr-22. Now I'm more than willing to bet that's because they recognize that I dont have a car in my name. Both of my Talons are in my wife's name (kept her last name because of issues like this one). But what I would do if I was in your shoes is call back your insurance company, if you have to, get f'ing RUDE with them dude. MAKE THEM HELP YOU. You've paid their bills and paychecks for as long as you've been with them, they can help you this little bit. If the person on the phone isn't helping, give em hell and speak with their supervisor to get the answers. Seriously, you OWN them...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back