The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Squealing sounds from the engine 99 Spyder

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SXY-DSM16

Probationary Member
Jun 24, 2016
Springfield, Missouri
My belts used to squeal really bad then I'll replace the alternator belt and the one under it. Power steering belt? I don't know I'm learning this stuff so help. It's still squeals for a second when you start it up but now there's some kind of constant noise over by the belts. Not a squeaky sound like a knocking noise or chirpping it's weird. Any ideas what this could be or what I should check I'm about to just put it in the shop figure it out. Thanks guys!

I took it to a shop when I put my catalytic converter and my new cap back on the car he says my belts are loose but I don't know how to tell myself I can't get the alternator to know if it's the alternator belt the belt above it feels a little loose but a friend put it on for me. I will take a video of it thanks for the help

The power steering belt is right above the alternator, and the ac pulley is closest to the firewall. I just replaced my belts yesterday. To adjust tension on the alternator belt, there are two bolts you need to loosen or tighten. If you are looking from the front bumper to firewall, there is a bolt going right to left, and just to the left and a hair towards the bumper is another bolt going in the direction of bumper to firewall. Loosening/tightening these will loosen or tighten your alt belt. To take the belt off, just loosen those 2 bolts until to can rotate the alt up to relieve tension. Both bolts are 12 mm I believe.

And you want about 1/4" deflection when you push down in between the 2 pulleys, or I believe a 1/4 turn of the belt is the same as 1/4"

A 1/4" deflection is meaningless without a force specification. The Mitsu spec for alternator and water pump belts is 22 lbs (98N) force to deflect 0.31-0.42" (8.0-10.7mm) at the mid point between pulleys. Or you can just get a $14 "Krikit" belt tension gauge at O'reilly or NAPA and use it on all accessory belts on every car for the rest of your life.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back