The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Spyder Trans options... Yes, I know the 4g63 trans works.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SRTclipse

Probationary Member
Sep 19, 2021
Phoenix, Arizona
Yesterday I noticed a clicking sound coming from my front end under load on accel and deceleration in all gears, increases with load and never goes away. It has fresh Synchromesh MTF, axles, hubs... ECT. Not sure about the clutch.
My best educated guess is the diff has s--t the bed. My options are, find a junkyard trans, throw an LSD and rebuild kit at it or get full coverage insurance and light it on fire behind a dumpster.

My question is, are there any OTHER 5 speed transmissions that will swap besides a GST. Not sure if anyone's looked lately, but they don't seem to be exactly falling from the sky anymore these days.
Should I just get the LSD and rebuild for ~$400, order a $700 trans from a junk yard or find a compatible trans from another compatible car.

Please save the "1g and 2g 4G63 trans fits". I've read probably 300 threads where that's covered. I am very mechanically skilled and capable. I am a dealer tech that's been around for some 15ish years. Bell housing, gear set swaps ect are no issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Spyder NT is kind of it's own thing since it's the only 2g car stateside that keeps the engine in the same orientation as the GST. You might get lucky with some other mitsu models but as I recall there aren't many FWD manual around after the 90s. If you're a dealer tech check all the chassis and see if any match to the trans code.

Spyder NT is kind of it's own thing since it's the only 2g car stateside that keeps the engine in the same orientation as the GST. You might get lucky with some other mitsu models but as I recall there aren't many FWD manual around after the 90s. If you're a dealer tech check all the chassis and see if any match to the trans code.
Very much appreciate the reply. I found out exactly how rare these Set-ups are the day before I posted this. I took a trip to 3 large junk yards here in the Phoenix area. I checked every vehicle that looked remotely related. The 5g and 6g Celica, 1g and 2g Tiburon, Sonata's, Optimas, Mirage, PT Cruiser, Status... ECT. Even the SUV's.
I was hoping to be able to find out if the gears are cut the same way with the same dimensions in a 3g trans. They physically sit on the wrong side, but the engineers were brilliant at keeping costs down. I can't see them re-tooling an entire foundry to create a unique set of gears for three unique sub models, who's chassis was shared by so many manufacturers for so many not so different cars with not all that different engine/trans assemblies. But it seems we 2g folks haven't mingled too much outside our own... kind(?).
With OEM parts becoming outrageously expensive and more scarce, it sounds like a more indepth look into affordable mechanical bits might be needed. Looks like I'll be checking into whatever technical drawings, specs and part numbers for transmission bits I can find. Again, thank you for weighing in.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back