The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Spyder top components

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnovision27

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 3, 2008
Ayr, ON_Canada
Now, with out getting into too much detail on my spring build (too busy for the log just yet) I have some questions about the spyder top.

In the pictures below is a bent arm that I'm pretty sure isn't suppose to be like that. Where is it suppose to attach to and could someone please find/make me a diagram on where/how it attaches to what ever it attaches to?

Lastly, the forward most bar. is it suppose to be floating or is it suppose to attach to something aswell.

Lastly, is there any way to restore the underside of the fabric? Mine looks like it's starting to peel off but not rip

Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_1225[1].jpg
    IMG_1225[1].jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1226[1].jpg
    IMG_1226[1].jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1227[1].jpg
    IMG_1227[1].jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 80
I can't comment on the part pictured. However, the forward most bar is supposed to be solid, but they break very easily and it's very common for the bars to be loose. Even my Spyder has the front most bar "floating" like you decribed. As for the underside, the coating that's flaking off is what makes the top truly waterproof. It's just a sign of the cloth top reaching the end of it's life.

Last edited:
Yea, now that I look at them, the pictures suck. haha

In the first picture, the joint you see at the bottom is the last joint in the arm (ie closest to the windshield). That 'connecting rod' has a hole on the other end and it is twisted 90 degrees. Is it suppose to connect to that support beam that I currently have floating?
Also, that connecting rod isn't on the driver side. Wondering if we're talking about the same thing.

I was thinking of scraping all that junk off and trying to use a weatherproof spray or adhesive on the underside to prolong it's life. Thoughts on that? I'm sure it's been documented before in another thread, but I'm exhausted and will search when I wake up.

My spyder's top has the same issue. The floating bar syndrome doesn't seem to have any negative effects though. Have any of you guys come across a weatherstrip kit for our cars?

Those bent arms attach to the floating rib. I've seen upgrade kits for elastic componentns to be attached to those bars so they don't get bent like that. I still need to get that for my spyder. Don't know what to say about the waterproofing.

Thanks tkr. Thats what I was looking for.

drifter: Do you have a link or a location for that kit?

I might try to fashion some new ones and install them with carriage bolts. Could work, but then again Maverick says there are no side effects? My bar isn't exactly floating pre-se, it's more falling. not even attached to the 2 bands that run up each side.

Just gonna make a thread on this! I have the same issue on my spyder. Those arms on my car are all bent also. I've been going crazy tryin to figure out where it went. Thanks!!!

They are the first things to break on our tops. THen the rear aluminium arms.

Was just about to post that ebay link. haha

Thanks for the help. What plastic part are you talking about? The mounting bolts?
And I'll cross the bridge with the rear parts when I get there (hopefully never...)

Cheers

For waterproofing, try an Army Surplus store. They sell a chemical that is used to waterproof canvas tents. I have considered trying rubberized undercoating for the underside of the top. I think it might crack and flake after putting the top up and down a few times though.

Hmmm... You might be right about the rubberized coating, but maybe not. We have tents up here that were (maybe still are) used in the military and they have the rubberish coating. The newer ones are flawless, but the old ones are all cracked and shitty... Might all depend on the spray.

I had a couple cans of spray water proofer. Tested it on the inside canvas to see if it would bleach or discolor and it was fine. So i sprayed the top. Worked great for an entire summer. Sweet to see the rain just bead off. But it wore out have to reapply every summer i guess.

Seems like I bought a can of something similiar from Hibbet when purchasing a pair of suede new balance shoes.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back