The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Spyder starter wont engage the flywheel

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Novakane2020

Probationary Member
Dec 31, 2020
Huntington, Indiana
ok so i snapped 2 flywheel bolts off in the crank. that problem got fixed, i put the tranny (out of a 97 Gsx 5 speed) back in and the started wont engage the flywheel. Not really trying too have to drop the tranny again. Any thing i should look into before doing all that work?

I also have a center cross member bolt that snapped off in the frame, so i have no threads left in one hole. any suggestions?

thanks in advance yall!

Last edited by a moderator:
KF5M332SPZT is a 2G FWD Turbo transmission. It was used in both the GST and GST Spyder. If that's the transmission you have, just look for a 7-bolt, FWD turbo flywheel.

It will be a different flywheel than what your 2.4L Spyder GS came with and is likely what you keep running into.

The previous owner never mentioned the swap or anything, untill i ran into this trouble.ill get some pic up here when i get off work today. all i know for sure is i went to replace cv axels, and the ones for the Spyder Gs were on 25 splines. and the gsx cv axels have 27 splines. so i put those in and they fit like the old ones.
What you encountered was nt to turbo fwd axles. Gsx axles are not larger and the drivers side has an intermediate shaft which you will not have. What made you think this was a gsx trans? It won't have an output shaft for the transfer case either.

they guy i bought the car from said he swapped it. and when i replace the cv's i had to order the gsx cv's due to the one for the spyder gs only having 25 splines. the gsx has 27. I work at Orielys so i have been just ordering in shit to see whats correct. the Flywheel is posing hard to find. I have pictures up in my profile on here, of all the parts.

they guy i bought the car from said he swapped it. and when i replace the cv's i had to order the gsx cv's due to the one for the spyder gs only having 25 splines. the gsx has 27. I work at Orielys so i have been just ordering in shit to see whats correct. the Flywheel is posing hard to find. I have pictures up in my profile on here, of all the parts.
GSX does not have 27 splines. The drivers axle is also a completely different design than FWD. I understand you work there but I can tell you over 30 years of ownership I do not trust oreilleys information. And they are generally the only auto parts store I use.

notice the differences at the bellhousing. AWD has a shaft for transfercase. Drivers side axle seal is different also.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I've got nothing more to offer other than that would be the correct flywheel PN to match up with your FWD turbo transmission. Hopefully some others with experience using that flywheel will chime in.

So you're putting an AWD trans into a FWD car? Your starter will never fit that way. AWD and FWD have different starters due to the AWD flywheel being a little smaller.

Which crossmember are you talking about? The one that bolts to the front subframe and the radiator core support that has the front roll-stop mounted to it?
I just want to point out that is false, the FWD and AWD turbo starters are the same, only the mounting location from center changes. The only difference is auto and manual.

I have an ACT Streetlite flywheel in my FWD. You can feel the slightly less rotating mass when getting going from a stop & it will be a little more touchy but it's not much of a problem.

I have a competition lightweight flywheel and I agree with Mello. Another thing I’ve noticed when slipping the clutch or even going uphill from a stop, the clutch burns a bit. It has lessened with time though.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back