The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Spyder Spyder roll bar with back seats

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I really felt the need for a functional 4 point roll bar but wanted to keep my back seats so my wife and daughter could ride along with me. This bar works perfect for my goals. I wanted to share it since so few are shown on here for spyders.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I did the design and fitting. A fabricator I know bent the hoop and did the welding plus a little fabrication to fit the rear plates and reinforce the fronts.

Here's what it looks like with the interior back in and padding on the bar.

I spent about $500 but got a bro deal on labor.

it looks great when it's all styrofoamed up and trimming covered man, hope you enjoy it :D

I'm sure the car is stiffer but it is hard to say for sure how much. I definitely feel safer driving it hard now knowing I have a little more safety.

So no more rear speakers? I'm looking into some kind of roll bar for my Spyder; my gf dailies her and just got a new job which involves a lot of highway driving. We both feel that the Spyder is a death trap, and we're kind of looking for something safer, but if I can find a decent roll bar I may decide to keep her. This looks awesome; hopefully I can get a good deal from my welder.

Autopower seems to make one of the few prefab roll bars and cages for 2gs, although I can't find any images of their street bar (about $700 shipped) installed on a Spyder. It looks similar to the OPs. Anybody have this? I found one thread that says the autopower bar won't fit a Spyder, but the auto power site says the bars fit most convertibles, though the description wasn't model specific (I plan on calling them Monday, just wondering) Pics?

Last edited:
No rear speakers but if someone were more committed to them than me (I don't even have a stereo or front speakers right now) they could find a way.

I bought a pre bent main hoop from some site for a 2g dsm and it didn't fit at all. The shoulders were too high and hit the very thick c pillars of the spyder top. I had to custom bend mine. I actually got mine a little close and it rubs on occasion. I'd believe it if someone said the autopower won't fit.

OP that turned out great! Inbthe many years ive owned mine ive had people in the back less than a dozen times. Which is why i opted to kind of eliminate my back seats. Id still like to carve the back rest out so it looks complete but for now its serves its purpose. [URL=http://s805.photobucket.com/user/oscarson66/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpseobojpzz.jpeg.html]
[/URL]
[URL=http://s805.photobucket.com/user/oscarson66/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsopcj1a6k.jpg.html]
[/URL]

Attachments

• image_zpsopcj1a6k.jpg
    image_zpsopcj1a6k.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 55
  • image_zpseobojpzz.jpe
    image_zpseobojpzz.jpe
    121.3 KB · Views: 53
It fits under the top so I don't think it changes the proportions. I think it impacted handling though. I took the car to its first autocross a week ago. The rear end likes to step out easier than any DSM I've had before. The first hard braking I had before a corner I slid into the cones sideways. I also did an AWD drift around a 140 degree 80 ft radius corner that wasn't intentional. Fun but a bit tough to handle. I'll definitely need some front bracing on it to stiffend that end up.

I am sure this helped stiffness tremendously! It really doesn't get much softer than a Spyder, but even with the bar, it isn't as stiff as hard top DSM, you still need to connect to the front.

I just picked AutoPower coupe bar, and I am about to find out why it doesn't fit in a Spyder ;)

This is probably why. Someone else's coupe bar is on top, mine is below. The 45 degree bends make it stick out too far where the extremely wide convertible top support arms are. It hits them. You have to drop the height of the bar down considerably to avoid them. Unless you're short of stature the bar won't be tall enough to protect you properly.

As it is my bar rubs a little on the wide arms. Just enough to rub the paint off on the driver's side and squish the padding on the passenger side. That is because I mounted it back where I did. I'm 6'4" so I needed it that far back. Even with the Celica seats mounted super low I barely fit in the car.

Last edited:
This roll bar looks so nice!! I would really like one. Is there any measurements available for the final copy that went in? Maybe even with a chicken scratch sketch of it?

Want one for mine

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back