The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Spyder Spyder Owners needed! Top not Working!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey guys, I'm new here. Sorry if i'm in the wrong spot. I have a 2007 Eclipse Spyder GS 2.4 L
Recently bought the car used knowing the top didn't work. I'm currently following a possible lead on a manual switch in the trunk? So mine does not have a compartment cover. I have this, for a lack of a better word at the moment, carpet like stuff. I can pull that back, but it's just a bunch of wires and plugs on both sides! Any ideas?

I would get a multimeter and a haynes/chilton manual for your car and start there. Also post on the 3g/4g forums as those guys will have more information. Hopefully someone on here has some insight for you but unfortunately I have no knowledge of any later generations.

2G and 3G Spyders have basically the same top, minus a couple minor deign changes. The 4G spyder is completely different. A 2G car won't be able to help. Your best chance for a solution is a 4G forum. It's not that I wouldn't want to help, but more of these cars are a lot different.

Hey, thanks guys, I had no idea i had any replies. I'm new to the forums whats the difference between 2g, 3g, and 4g? I don't believe i have a manual switch. I've looked and looked. I found something about pins in the motors going bad? so it will just spin and not catch anything? I can hear the motor activate, but nothing happens. the hatch doesn't even come up. Parts for this care are insanely expensive. Haynes repair manuals for this model and year don't seem to exist, but if I can find instructions, i can follow them. Also my car doesn't have that "manual tool" in that video. I'd like to buy one, but no idea what it's called!

Hey, thanks guys, I had no idea i had any replies. I'm new to the forums whats the difference between 2g, 3g, and 4g? I don't believe i have a manual switch. I've looked and looked. I found something about pins in the motors going bad? so it will just spin and not catch anything? I can hear the motor activate, but nothing happens. the hatch doesn't even come up. Parts for this care are insanely expensive. Haynes repair manuals for this model and year don't seem to exist, but if I can find instructions, i can follow them. Also my car doesn't have that "manual tool" in that video. I'd like to buy one, but no idea what it's called!
The pins you're referencing are called shear pins and snap if there's excessive load on the motors rather than burning them out. There's a full write-up on them here:

https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/easy-fix-for-convertible-top-motors-with-pictures.236047/

Whether or not this applies to a 4G Spyder I honestly do not know...

In an effort to look for said motor with pins, i went into to just really look at everything. On whim, i turned the shut off valve on my hydrualic pump....the top now works! I bought the car used, so i'm assuming the valve had to of been shut off for a reason? it was low on fluid and I had to add more to it, because it ran dry right away. But, at least I know a direction!! So far the fluid seems fine? We shall see! thanks everyone!

Hey..that`s good news . Now all you have to do is keep your eye for any leaks.. A friend has a 2007 Eclipse and wanted to get some thing newer . She was very upset at the dealership because they offered her $5 grand in trade in. I told her to sell her car privately because it is definitely worth more than $5 grand .

I've seen 08
Hey..that`s good news . Now all you have to do is keep your eye for any leaks.. A friend has a 2007 Eclipse and wanted to get some thing newer . She was very upset at the dealership because they offered her $5 grand in trade in. I told her to sell her car privately because it is definitely worth more than $5 grand .
I've seen an 08 in perfect condition go for 8 grand at a dealership.
Also, pretty sure I found my leak! The passenger side Hydraulic hinge. I found one on ebay for $250, but I'm curious if a hydraulic leak stopper would fix it? I've got a video on my phone, but It won't let me upload it.

The pins you're referencing are called shear pins and snap if there's excessive load on the motors rather than burning them out. There's a full write-up on them here:

https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/easy-fix-for-convertible-top-motors-with-pictures.236047/

Whether or not this applies to a 4G Spyder I honestly do not know...
Thanks! It was just my shut off valve for my pump. There's a leak in the right side hydraulic hinge. Other wise the top seems to work great. The leak is purty nasty though

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back