The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Spyder Spyder Convertible Top Frame/Assembly Replacement

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Have a 98 Spyder with the crappy looking tan top on black car. However, I found a place with a front-end wrecked Spyder with a black top and they said they'd sell the whole top assembly (frame and all) for about the price of a replacement cover on Ebay.

Now, my question is: would it be simpler to completely replace the top assembly, frame and all, or just change the cover?

I bought a spyder for parts and the top was removed looked like it would be a b!&ch to change out better to pay someone than to try and have to pay someone to fix your mess and the top

i pulled my top off my spyder the other day to prep the car for paint. it wasnt nearly as difficult as i expected. a moderately skilled mechanic (and a friend) would be able to pull the whole assembly in a matter of an hour. theres a total of like 8 bolts and a bunch of trim clips holding the whole thing on.

i pulled my top off my spyder the other day to prep the car for paint. it wasnt nearly as difficult as i expected. a moderately skilled mechanic (and a friend) would be able to pull the whole assembly in a matter of an hour. theres a total of like 8 bolts and a bunch of trim clips holding the whole thing on.

Cool. I'd have someone I know to help with it. I figured there weren't many bolts for it, but I wasn't sure if it was permanently attached in any way. Also, I read some things about some of the rain gutters being fragile, did you have any difficulties with those pieces?

Anyway, I was thinking about doing the swap since I can get the full assembly for $400 rather than spending like $800 on having it re-covered. The one on there is in great shape, so I'm not really prepared to spend a crapload of money on something purely cosmetic.

Cool. I'd have someone I know to help with it. I figured there weren't many bolts for it, but I wasn't sure if it was permanently attached in any way. Also, I read some things about some of the rain gutters being fragile, did you have any difficulties with those pieces?

Anyway, I was thinking about doing the swap since I can get the full assembly for $400 rather than spending like $800 on having it re-covered. The one on there is in great shape, so I'm not really prepared to spend a crapload of money on something purely cosmetic.

the craigslist one? i know which one ## talkin... its some place near washington, pa.

I WANT THAT TOP!!! LOL

haha, yeah, Washington is my hometown.

crap....i wanted the top :'(. oh well

if you dont get it by friday morning...then i definitely am...

Do you need any top? If I get it, I'll have a spare tan top to sell ;)

just like you, i'm after black. to be honest, my top isn't in bad shape, but i primarily want the headliner and motors.

OR if i get it first, i'll sell you my old black top for $100, and u can take the headliner off your old top and put it on my old one.

I did the whole top assembly replacement a couple of years ago.

I did it because my canvas had been slashed just before I bought the car. Also one of the large frame links was broken.

I found a complete top assembly with great canvas and headliner, only problem was the thing was tan and my Spyder is black. So I dished out $400 to a local junk yard for the top, bought some Duplicolor fabric spray and did it black before installing it.

The install took me and my wife about 6 hours and it turned out great.

One top shop told me the recommended time to install just the canvas was 12 hours and he wanted $800 just for the labor.OMG

The complete assembly was a much better deal and I have a spare part top standing in the corner of my garage.:D

BK85

Awesome! To me it seemed like a much simpler solution rather than tearing off the old cover and replacing it.

I'm PMing you Etay

How did you go about dying it? I'd like to see tops that match the paint. Like the new BMWs.

duplicolor fabric and vynil paint. holds up very well. doesnt leave a rough texture. and it covers very evenly. im not a fan tops that match the body color of the car. its just tacky to me.

i didnt have any problems with anything to be honest. the one minor snag we ran into was that the battery had died, so we had to pull the top off with all the windows up. it was kinda difficult to wrestle the top over the windows, but as far as unbolting it... piece of cake.

Hi new here. Got a spyder96 gs. Needs the #2 link bent saw the replacement for 75 dollars out of jax. Ordering a new top mine is ok but it's starting to dry rot. My question is are there any frame replacement kits been to 2 pick in pulls no Spyders. My frame is ok missing a couple of the larger bolts and the 2 frame may need replacing.
Would welcome any help or thoughts especially ordering the top. I have seen so many ones online, my concern is my liner in decent shape. But it Seems to not go back up all the way as before after I lower the top and put it back up.
Next project is interior. Doors are in decent shape but dingy would like to redo the interior. Also the air bag on passenger side dash is peeling up a little.
Thank you spyder gurl

When you pulled the top off it was all one piece canvas and frame? How did you reinstall it , was it down or did you have to re bolt it while it was in the up position

When you pulled the top off it was all one piece canvas and frame? How did you reinstall it , was it down or did you have to re bolt it while it was in the up position
Pulled everything together. I set it to manual mode so I could maneuver it up a down during removal/install. The majority of it is done in the mostly down position.

Pulled everything together. I set it to manual mode so I could maneuver it up a down during removal/install. The majority of it is done in the mostly down position.
Ok thanks for the info. I just got the car ,didn’t even know there was a manual mode LOL

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back