The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Spyder Spyder 4g64 to AWD

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is it possible? I had a GST tranny in my 4g64. I broke part of the bell housing and am looking at replacing the transmission. A complete swap to AWD parts came up on FB for the price of a used transmission. (Subframe, gas tank, axles, suspension, transfer case, tranny, etc). Will it work? Do I need a different ecu or wiring harness? I’ve already got the axles for the gst and flywheel and clutch. Thanks for your help. You guys are the best.

GST axles don't fit in an AWD trans. AWD flywheel is also different as is the trans backing plate. No ECU issues for a trans swap.
You will need AWD axles including the intermediate shaft and bearing housing. You also need to match up the year differences for trans, transfercase, intermediate shaft and bearing housing. Depending on what is in the car will determine what will and won't bolt up. Given you have a 97 the AC bracket may be different. I'm not 100% sure the AC bracket is the same for all 4gXX cars. You will have to verify and then choose how you want to proceed. What year the donor parts are will matter. Fill us in.

It can work, but you may have some limitations. In addition to what Paul wrote, if you keep the 4g64 and don't install a turbo, that engine is going to have to pull around a bit more weight than it was designed for. In the long run, it may add more stress to it and the drivetrain. Might be a good time to throw on a 4g63 head and do a turbo swap too.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back