The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Sputtering at high RPM's

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David199619

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 19, 2012
East Bangor, Pennsylvania
Hey everyone, I don't know too much about cars yet, so I'm posting here. Whenever my 98 GSX gets to around 4k RPM's I hear a sputtering noise, and I can feel the wheels not pulling when it sputters. What can be the causes of this?

I bought the car semi-customized, it's got a 16g turbo with an FMIC, HKS bov, and some wastegate not sure on brand. May have other parts too, but not certain.

Edit: I read somewhere on here that it could be a boost leak, but I'm not certain.

Sounds like a boost leak to me.. Check that first and if it doesn't fix the issue then some more specific symptoms would help.

Boost leak test first. If you have actual misfires check for codes if you have a check engine light.
Most misfires is see with peope having issues by using crappy platinum plugs and/or incorrect spark plug gap. Pull the plugs to check them and make sure you got NGK BPR6ES and gap the at .028"

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back