The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Sputtered while idle then died

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ki263737

Probationary Member
May 23, 2022
Vanderhoof, BC_Canada
Hi so I have a 92 talon tsi.

I had started it one day and let it warm up but while that happened it died and now it won't start. I put a gauge to the fuel line and it says I have no fuel pressure. So I checked the relay under the radio and it's fine.

I don't know what else it could be can someone shed some light on this if possible?

Also bypassed the relay and I had fuel pressure

Last edited by a moderator:
Why is the battery dead? Is the charging system ok?
Yah just had the car sitting over winter it died is the fall and didn't have a shop to work on it in and the battery died over time but the car didn't start the bypass that my stepdad helped me with only let out half the pressure I needed to start
Why is the battery dead? Is the charging system ok?

Yah just had the car sitting over winter it died is the fall and didn't have a shop to work on it in and the battery died over time but the car didn't start the bypass that my stepdad helped me with only let out half the pressure I needed to start
Let out half the pressure??? I'm not understanding.
I would start with a charged battery and then verify your charging system is working. After that you can properly diagnose why it won't start. Can you clarify please and let us know the sequence of events up to this point?

Fully charge the battery and try again. If the fuel pressure is still too low clamp closed the fuel return line and repeat. See if fuel pressure goes up higher but be mindful of the closed return line. If it does I'd suspect the FPR. If it doesn't I'd look for the problem upstream.

A couple of things come to mind, first is since it's a 1G you should make sure your ECU doesn't have any capacitor leakage issues. If it's original the odds are close to 100% that it does. Second, if the battery voltage is too low the car will sputter and die then not start because the ECU won't power up anymore.

Put the car on a charger, make sure it's fully charged before trying to start again. When you first turn the ignition on you should see the Check Engine Light turn on for about five seconds and then turn off, the factory boost gauge should move to 0 and stay there until you start cranking the engine when it will drop to vacuum. You should also check the alternator fuse by measuring the voltage at the battery terminals and at the B+ post on the alternator. The should be the same with the engine off. If you get it started the battery voltage should rise to at least 13.6v with the engine running.

The fuel pump won't start running until you start cranking the engine or spin the CAS.

Make sure the timing belt is good and that the cams turn along with the crank. The belts need to be changed every 60k miles or at least every 10 years.

When mine did this last summer it ended up being a bad 02 sensor not reading properly. Replaced that and the random stall quit, just uncovered additional issues!

Update I have done some wire testing and moved some fuses around and found that I am now getting 40psi on fuel pressure but it's still not starting is there a fuse that Runs the fuel pump aswell as the realy or no? I also haven't yet pulled the ecu out yet so that still might be the issue but just haven't had time to work on the car lately

is there a fuse that Runs the fuel pump as well as the relay or no?

On a 1G, Yes, since the Fuel Pump Relay is controlled by the ECU which is is powered from the MPI Fuse or by the Starter Relay which is powered from the Ignition fuse and the pump itself is also powered from the Ignition fuse, there are several fuses involved.

However, If your fuel pump runs while cranking the starter you know that the ignition fuse is providing power to the ignition switch and the fuel pump.

If the things in post #9 aren't happening the car is never going to start.

Just got around to pulling the ecu and yes the capacitors have leaked onto the board so we are going to replace the capacitors and try that

Well @Ki263737 ? The only obligation you have when posting on the site is to tell us the resolution when your done. That's how you pay forward for us taking time to help with your problem.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back