The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

420A sprung or unsprung clutch?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inkdlyfe

Proven Member
Feb 23, 2016
Summer feild, Florida
I've read through a few different forms and it seems like they get off topic about it and never get answered I'm just looking for like the best direct answer I can find what would be better for my 98 eclipse 420a w 55mm turbo pushing about 20 lbs of boost around 300hp ? Mainly DD but take it out to race Thursday Friday and Saturday nights
Sprung or unsprung?
And what is this "chattering" I keep reading about ?

Lots of things. I would guess: too much torque, usage over time, bad design?

Quality, poor driving skill and driving habits (clutch dumps, wheel hop, chatter), sh*t happens.
pick any 1, 2, or 3 of the above.

This is exactly why you will not get a definitive answer. Some people like sprung, others worry about the springs and possibility of it coming apart because it's multi-piece.
Some like unsprung, other say it's more harsh on the drivetrain and engagement is more touchy.
They're pretty equal, and you won't find a spoonfed answer on this topic.
Make a decision, buy one, see how it works for you. This one will require an independent decision.

Quality, poor driving skill and driving habits (clutch dumps, wheel hop, chatter), sh*t happens.
pick any 1, 2, or 3 of the above.

This is exactly why you will not get a definitive answer. Some people like sprung, others worry about the springs and possibility of it coming apart because it's multi-piece.
Some like unsprung, other say it's more harsh on the drivetrain and engagement is more touchy.
They're pretty equal, and you won't find a spoonfed answer on this topic.
Make a decision, buy one, see how it works for you. This one will require an independent decision.
How much damage can it actually do to a transmission tho like take out gears or take out the whole thing at once ?

I have a sprung 6 puck and I get chatter when starting from low rpms. You'll find where the sweet spot is once you drive it for a while and it won't chatter as much.

At that power level I'd stick with a sprung street disc. South bend makes a good clutch. Contact twicks69 or visit tmzperformance.com. He will steer you in the right direction!

I personally run an ACT 2900 PP with a Clutchnet sprung 6 puck disc. The springs are mostly encased and I havent had a problem in 5 years. So it's possible to get a sprung disc to ease drivetrain shock and not worry about the springs coming out on a hard launch.

Last edited:
As far as my knowledge, if you have that car as a dd or plan to drive often with it sprung is usually the way to go considering the cushion it gives on drivetrain components, now purely trying to have a clutch that engages for times un-sprung...

I prefer unsprung but in a dd you will need an ati/fluidampr because the harmonics isn't good for the engine/trans. Don't forget to loctite all the bolts as well, don't want them getting shaken loose.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back