The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

spring manufacturer questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ricktsu

20+ Year Contributor
Jun 3, 2002
Annapolis_MD
I can not seem to find a def. to my question through the search. I am going to purchase a set of springs in the next week or so. I want to go not further then an Inch and 1/2. My question is: Is there much of a diffrence between diffrent manufacturer of springs? Say Eibachs compared to Progress? Personally I can not imagine anything different, i imagine the are wound to the same specs, made from the same material and all the springs carry similar load ratings. But I really have no clue since all I have owned is Eibachs. Progress springs can be had for 159. and Eibachs are more in the range of 225.00 plus.
In the future , I will most likely be replacing it all w/ a nice coli over set. but for now i am wondering if the progress springs will be sufficient.
Any of you guys have experience with them? Or other springs with mild drops besides Eibachs and H&R's?

Thanks.

Rick

What to understand of manufactuers. Hard to believe but springs are NOT all the same.

Ok, the basics: springs are designed to hold up your car. Obviously, some of us want springs to not hold the car up so much, while others want the springs to balance the corner weights for more consistent handling. In order to work properly they need to be matched to the shocks, but that is getting away from this discussion.....

Springs lead a rough life, always bouncing up and down, sometimes to full extension and then compression. This "delta" is probably the single largest factor in the life characterics of a spring. Simply put, large deltas mean springs will take a set (sag) as they get older (I'm talking years here gang, not a few weeks).

Springs have to made from good material. They are normally CNC (computer numerically controlled) wound, meaning machines make them. Don't assume all springs are CNC wound, I know of many places that still make springs the good old fashioned way!!! After forming springs are usually powder coated or painted (don't go for plated springs, they will break from hydrogen embrittlement!). Springs should be fully compressed for one cycle. This does two good things to springs: reduces the tendency to set upon installation (I understand this happens a lot!) and puts a compressive stress on the spring, which helps in long life. Springs should look nice - if you see lots of nicks or dings, forget them. Many used springs are sold with the "its just an appearance thing" excuse; and then when it snaps in two the seller is long gone. Don't even mess with it.

Some springs are heat treated which is ok, although the cold forming process helps the spring life too. Some people try to make their own spring by torching them - this is a bad move. Not only are they taking temper (which is good for a spring) out, they are heating only one area of the spring, which leaves stress risers (places for cracks to start).

Ok, this is important, so here is the short version:
- cheap springs means something has been skipped
- springs should be in good shape - they should look good
- don't even try to make your own lowering springs

Kyle

np, thnx guys.
went w/ the eibachs. why mess w/ a good thing

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back