The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

ECUflash SPOOLIGAN's Evo ECU in DSM Documentation

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yes, just solder and shrink tube.

you could technically take some small spade connectors, crimp them on the wires, secure them to the pins, then solder them on and add shrink tubing. but thats a bit more work for not much gain, and the connections would be fairly bulky.

As per the Evo knock sensor stuff, I can no longer edit the main post. I guess once a few days pass after any post, it is no longer available to be edited. Thus, I have not been able to go back and add or change stuff. I've PMed a couple admins to edit it for me, but never did get a response. Or the change.

I have a similar, but more detailed article on my own website that I've been putting together. The domain is not transferred yet, but it will be soon. The article, http://dev.eatsleepdsmmag.com/index.php/2016/02/25/using-an-evo-83g-eclipse-ecu-in-a-dsm/ is a lot more updated.

I've read on EvoM that some people say you can use a 2g knock sensor as they are similar to the Evo knock sensor, but I've also seen people say they do not work. So, I use an Evo sensor. You have to change a few things inside ecuflash to get the knock sensor to work properly. Otherwise, you will get knock very often. Has something to do with the sensitivity.

I was wondering how your car idles. My pinout is the same and following it made my car idle high. I had to switch ISC motor coils B1&B2 for it to idle down. Thanks.

Where is everyone tapping into for power to the obd2 plug?

Is there a reason the 2000 model won't work? A few places list the ECU range as 2000-2005. If I can find the connectors, I may try this. Not sure I'll be able to find anything in a junkyard around here, though.

After screwing up and buying a 2000 ecu then a bad 01 ecu I finally got my car running on all 4 cylinders just idling like crap. Anyone else have idle issues?

Yeah, many people have idle issues. What exactly is yours doing? I had to change my short term fuel trim settings. Idle would almost die, then it'd throw fuel in to try to compensate, but it was too much, so the idle would raise, then it'd fall back down, then it'd shoot back up. See my write up on my website. I believe I linked it to you before. I described the idle issue I had and how I fixed it.

Also if you have facebook, add me. facebook.com/ajateatsleepdsm . Also join my group, Eat Sleep DSM. Hell, you may already be on there. We have over 9k members.

Last edited by a moderator:
My situation is a bit of a pain considering when I bought the car it was a shell and I have pieced it together over time with used parts unsure of their condition until now. Also I'm running a maf translator and setting the fuel enrichment on that seemed to help idle but it's still erratic. Once I get the exhaust on and some coolant in it I'll be able to mess with it some more just wanted some ideas.

Wow this is a great post I'd like to try this with my Galant VR4 I almost have everything except I have a 2G ecu instead, how different would this be to adapt for a 2G ecu? Or would I be better off with getting a 3G ecu? One of the reasons I wanna use a 2G ecu is because I have a 98 GST I've been using ECUflash with and would like to continue using ceddymods, I've never used Tephra before. Only thing I've noticed so far are the base injector numbers are different from the DSM to the EVO guys.

I also noticed on the adapter harness diagram there are parts that say flying, I understand that flying means optional for stuff like speeddensity but I was wondering about the tach signal output? Doesn't that need to be connected to the DSM harness so the tachometer works? Look like DSM pin 21 is the crank angle sensor where you get your RPM signal from EVO pin 89, what does the tach signal out do? Just an extra tach output?

Also I have a question about the CAS, if I am using the stock adjustable CAS it'll work fine with the 3G ecu? Is adjusting it the same process as stock buy grounding the connector?

Also I have the Tactrix Openport 2.0 cable, will this work the same way?

Sorry another quick question is the knock sensor. What cars can I source a compatible knock sensor from? So far I'm thinking 2G Turbo, 3G I4 Eclipse, and EVO8?

Last edited:
Anyone have issues with timing advance stuck at 5 degrees?

Yes actually, but it was related to a push button start that wasn't wired up correctly. The ignition wire is only supposed to see 12v until the engine fires up. The guy had constant 12v to this wire and it made the timing stick at 5* because the ecu couldn't fully tell that the engine was started. Like it thought the car was still in cranking mode. so, It Wasn't Ecu related, the Evo ecu was used in said car.

I've noticed in evoscan the crank signal cuts in and out

I would think it would die too. I get the p0335 crank sensor code as well. Gonna check out the engine harness this week.

That's where I would start, even if it is two separate issues and the crank sensor problem isn't causing the stuck 5* timing.

I remember seeing a couple posts on here about other people having stuck 5* timing on just a regular dsm with an eprom ecu. Usually it was always related to the ignition wiring.

You could also double check to make sure the timing ground terminal isn't touching ground.

I'm sure someone is going to say that you cannot link your own page here..... but I'm glad I got the link before that happened :). Thank you for writing it up I have an evo ecu in my garage that I've been meaning to play with.

If anyone tries this with a maf translator set the dials as if it were on a 2g. Could not get my afrs in check until I changed them.

As a small update the car is running really well without any real changes in the ecu. Unfortunately I live two hours away from where I'm keeping the car so I don't get much chance to play with it. I believe my thermostat is stuck open because the engine will get to temp while idling but once I get moving it drops. Also my logging cable is acting up so I haven't been able to get any data while driving. Going to try and tackle both problems next weekend.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back