The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

ECUflash SPOOLIGAN's Evo ECU in DSM Documentation

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fourgsixthree33

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 25, 2010
Athens, Pennsylvania
Admin's I am not sure of the appropriate forum for a thread of this dimension, so please feel free to move it if there is a better location for it.

I am starting this thread with the intention to simply help me document any and all information I find throughout my own Evo 8 ECU-->1G DSM process. There is a sufficient amount of information out there on the web between DSMtuners, EvolutionM, DSMtalk, club3G, the GVR4 forums, etc. But the information is amazingly spotty at best and takes a LOT of time shuffling through it all. Including the 40+ threads which most of the information lies in.

There are several different combinations and variables that affect you and your exact setup.

1G vs. 2G chassis
1G CAS vs. 2Ga cam/crank sensors vs. 2Gb cam/crank sensors
1G MAF vs. 2G MAF vs. 3G MAF vs. Evo MAF vs. GM MAF-T, vs. SD
DSM 450cc fuel injectors vs. Evo fuel injectors vs. aftermarket fuel injectors
Evo ECU vs. 3G vs. other similar ECU
Ton's of other stuff.

Over the years, I have tried contributing to our community via Eat Sleep DSM (website/social media groups/pages) and this is no different. I want to use the Evo ECU for many reasons. I used a Blackbox in my 2G and fell in love with ECUflash/EVOscan, though it does also have its downsides. I think the biggest reason why I want to use the Evo ECU is to learn more about it and hopefully clear things up. A lot of people put in a ton of effort into giving us another option for Tuning over the years. ECMlink, Jackal, Ostrich, Ceddy, Tephra, etc. Some of us take their work for granite or don't even consider it at all. I would like to promote their efforts, more importantly the efforts of those that contributed to the Evo ECU stuff.

A little background about my exact build that I am using the Evo ECU in. It's a 92 GSX, bought it as a shell back in October of 2015. Since then, I have been building it while recovering from what should have been a fatal accident in my 2G. See project log for more details. I am using an Evo 3 16G (for now until the car is up and running with all the bugs worked out, then switch to a Holset setup), RC 550's (again for now, have FIC 1600's ready to go in), 2G MAF (for now, switching to SD in the future).

I have done a wire tuck, fuse box relocation, battery relocation, deletes (AC, cruise, PS, ABS, heater core, windshield wipers, emissions, EGR, FIAV, IAC, etc.), with a built-ish 6 bolt. I have been doing way too many things at once, which is why I am sticking with a very basic setup with the small turbo, injectors, and MAF. I don't want to add to the list. One problem directly affects the rest of the setup in some way.

Now, onto the good stuff.

TYPE OF ECU:
(UNCONFIRMED INFO) I am using a 3G Eclipse ECU (2001, i4, manual trans). There are two differences between the 3G ECU and Evo ECU from what I have found up till now. The most important of the two is that pins 8 and 22 are swapped between ECU's.

(UNCONFIRMED INFO)
PIN 8- Evo is for AC while it is for the Fuel Pump Relay on the 3G ECU.
(UNCONFIRMED INFO) PIN 22- Evo is for Fuel Pump Relay while it is for the AC on the 3G ECU.

(UNCONFIRMED INFO) On my 92 GSX with my patch harness, I have a wire going from pin 56 (MPI Relay) of the DSM harness to pin 8 (Fuel Pump Relay) of my 3G ECU.

On a 1G with an Evo ECU, the wire would go from pin 56 (MPI Relay) to pin 22 (Fuel Pump Relay) of the Evo ECU.

(images of pinout's will be added here once I gather them all neatly)

FIRING ORDER:

I have found that different setups may require you to change your firing order. While I have seen some say you have to use the Evo firing order (1342), this is incorrect, in my case anyway. With my 92 GSX and my 1G CAS, I'm using the regular 4123 DSM firing order. Some 2G guys with different combinations of CAS's have been known to use 3214 (the backwards DSM firing order).

ECU PINOUT'S:

1G (91-94) DSM ECU PINOUT

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

EVO 8 ECU PINOUT

1G--->EVO PINOUT

FLASHING/LOGGING:
You need to download ECUflash for tuning (free) and EVOscan for logging ($30)

You will need a 1.3u Tactrix cable and OBD2 connectors. You will also need to run the flash cable wire from the Tactrix cable to pin 79 of the Evo ECU. I did not make my own OBD2 port, I bought the Tactrix cable with the OBD2 port, hopefully someone else can chime in on how to make one. Seems pretty easy from everything I have read. You use a black male and female OBD2 connectors. There is a pinout for that as I believe there are multiple wires that run to the ECU wiring.

ROMS:
You have to use Tephra Mods V7. ROM's and info is found here http://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ecuflash/451836-tephramod-v7.html

Most people, and so far myself too, have had better luck with the
9653X706 ROM. Note the "X" in the ROM ID number.
If you are using a MAF (any MAF), replace the "X" with the number "0".
If you are running SD (Speed Density), replace the "X" with the number "1".

INITIAL TUNING:
If you are running a MAF, you need to edit the MAF Size values, MAF Scaling values, as well as the MAF Compensation values.

If you are running a 1G MAF, you need to enter the 1G MAF values. (currently do not have this information. most people switch to at least a 2G MAF)
If you are running a 2G MAF, you need to enter the values for the 2G MAF. (picture below)
If you are running an EVO 8 MAF, you can leave these alone for now.
I don't have any input on what you need to do with a GM-MAFT at this time.
3G MAF's are similar to the Evo MAF, if not the same.

I WILL CONTINUE UPDATING POST #1 AND ADDING THINGS AS I GO

Last edited:
Interested in this since i've had one of those ecu's with the idea in my head to install it on my 1g for a while. Definitely following along with your thread here, thank you for posting.

Yeah, no problem. You know what I'm talking about then. So you understand why I would want to clear things up for others. It's 2016, we should have a larger, well documented, easy to find thread about everything you need to know.

Finally overcame an issue I have been having the last few days. When I first put the Evo ECU in with the patch harness, the car ran but it ran really really rough. When revving it, it sounded like an IC pipe was disconnected. When switching back to my 1G DSM ECU, the car ran perfect.

Initially, I suspected my problem was with the MAF scaling and MAF compensation. But, I found Knochgoon's MAF settings he was using, along with a few more people, and they didn't seem make any different.

Yesterday I stumbled upon a supposed pinout for the 2001 3G Eclipse 4cyl manual ECU. Two pins on this pinout were swapped from what was shown on the Evo 8 ECU.

Pin 8 of the 3G ecu is for the Fuel Pump Relay.
Pin 8 of the Evo ecu is for the AC Relay.
Pin 22 of the 3G ecu is for the AC Relay.
Pin 22 of the Evo ecu is for the Fuel Pump Relay.

I modified my patch harness to accommodate the correct pinout and moved the wire in pin 22 of the ECU side of the patch harness to reside in pin 8.

Now the car wouldn't run at all, no fuel pressure while cranking.

With an Evo ECU, the wiring goes as follows:
DSM pin 56-->pin 22 of the ECU connector.
DSM pin 56 is one of three MPI Control pins.

Now, pin 56 is running to pin 8 to accommodate the 3G/Evo ECU pinout differences.

The other two MPI Control pins from the DSM side both run to pin 38 of the ECU side. Pin 38 is a pin for the MFI Control.

DSM's don't have a "Fuel Pump Relay" in the pinout of the ECU. This was confusing.

While I was in the process of modifying my patch harness, I noticed a wire came off of a pin on the DSM side of the harness. I assumed I accidentally tugged on the wire while moving pins around. I traced the wire, checked the pinout diagrams, and identified this wire as the MAF wire. Then I simply soldered it back onto its designated pin.

After searching and searching trying to find a reason why my ECU wasn't allowing my fuel pump to turn on even though my pins were now going to the correct places, I decided to take a look at a couple of my logs from EVOscan.

One log, from when the car ran rough before switching the two pins.
and one log from earlier today, when I was cranking the car during the new no-start problem.

Something caught my eye that I hadn't noticed before. On the log from when the car ran, but ran rough, I noticed my AirFlow value wasn't moving and was constant at 0. I then looked at the second log. My AirFlow on this log was in fact registering while cranking the car. I thought to myself, maybe the MAF wire had not been connected on my patch harness the entire time and maybe it would have ran correctly with it connected before swapping pins.

So, I brought the ECU and harness back inside, swapped the pins back (like the Evo pinout), and put the ECU back in. The car fired right up and ran smooth. It was nearly 11:30PM and I have neighbors so I only ran the car for about 5 minutes, even though I was eager to see if the antilag worked.

Tomorrow, I will go out during the day and play around with it. I will take some videos and add them on here.

I have yet to find another pinout for the 3G ECU. I cannot believe I have yet to find another pinout, but it is very possible the pinout that I have is incorrect.

Dude this amazing, congrats on the success!!! Keep on boosting my friend!

Haha, thanks man.

UPDATE:
I went out today and started the car. I let it run for awhile and it idled fine (even with my torn TB gasket, just been too lazy to replace it). I confirmed that the antilag/launch control features DO WORK. I took a video with the antilag. I will be posting it soon.

Video of Antilag

sweet man, gonna start my patch harness this week. so ill try to contribute my findings on the evo 8 ecu in a 1g as best as possible.

Awesome! Definitely want to get more people on board with this. It will help my intentions.

Things have been going pretty smooth still. Got my antilag/launch control running very well. Yesterday I put the drivetrain on the car and in the morning, I will be bleeding my clutch and the car should be movable. Have to do some things before I can actually drive it but shouldn't be long.

Video of the antilag.

I would also like to add that the pinout between the 3G ECU and Evo ECU is in fact the SAME. The 3G ECU does not have the pin for the BCS (Boost Control Solenoid), so that pin is empty. Everything else is the same. So, if you use a 3G ECU, you use the Evo pinout when making your patch harness.

Awesome thread. But you may want to edit or delete some of the unconfirmed info lines of your first post to avoid confusion about the 3G vs Evo pin differences.

Just got a 3rd gen ecu and have a dead 1g ecu laying around so gonna give this a try

got my patch harness done, just wondering if i have to tap into my tactrix cables obd1 connector with pin 79 from the evo ecu? my tactrix cable has the obd1 female plug on it, coming from the female obd2 portion, only one wire that goes to pin 6 of the obd1 side. do i need to tap into that with pin 79's wire?

after that im gonna freshen up on my reading and see if i can get this thing to connect tomorrow or wednesday

tactrix cable

obd1 adapter plug, only pin in lower left

back side of obd1 plug

Last edited:
I will have to look at my pinout on my obd1 connector. I do believe you are correct, pin 6 of the obd1 to pin 79 of the ecu.

id appreciate it! after looking at the obd1 pinout for dsms, it looks like pin 6 (the one on my plug) is a ground, while pin 12 (according to the thread on evom) is the one i need to send pin 79 from the evo8 ecu to. i made the wire long, so once i can find the info and get to the point of installing it, it should be easy enough to do.

excited to get a tuning solution on my car, 16lbs on the 14b and stock pig richness is boring as hell.

When making the 1g to Evo patch harness what connectors are you guys using to attach the wires to the 1g female plug? How did you attach them? Sorry for the questions. I just have no clue where to get connectors that small.

The OBDI pin does go to 79. The cable is correct. Run the OBDI wire to 79 to reflash.

Are you saying that evo ecu pin 79 goes to the tactrix obd1 plug wire?
Or to the obd1 plug, pin 12 in the car?

Ive been running an evo8 ecu in my 1g for the past 3 years. Been great to me.

I think you need to add somewhere about using the EVO knock sensor.
Unless guys have gotten it to work with a 1g since Ive done my conversion?

Are you saying that evo ecu pin 79 goes to the tactrix obd1 plug wire?
Or to the obd1 plug, pin 12 in the car?
The pin from the tractrix cable goes to EVO 8 ECU pin 79. What you should do is run a wire from pin 79 with a clip to slide it onto the pin on the cable.
It doesn't go to your OBDI port under the dash.

Ive been running an evo8 ecu in my 1g for the past 3 years. Been great to me.

I think you need to add somewhere about using the EVO knock sensor.
Unless guys have gotten it to work with a 1g since Ive done my conversion?
Agreed and no you can't run a 1g sensor. Although you can run a 2g sensor which would be better because the cable is shorter much like a 1G DSM sensor.

The pin from the tractrix cable goes to EVO 8 ECU pin 79. What you should do is run a wire from pin 79 with a clip to slide it onto the pin on the cable.
It doesn't go to your OBDI port under the dash.

Agreed and no you can't run a 1g sensor. Although you can run a 2g sensor which would be better because the cable is shorter much like a 1G DSM sensor.

Thank you for the clarification on the pins :)

Interesting, as when I compared my new evo 8 knock sensor to the stock 1g, the plug harness was the same length. I unfortunately don't have a pic of this.

Thank you for the clarification on the pins :)

Interesting, as when I compared my new evo 8 knock sensor to the stock 1g, the plug harness was the same length. I unfortunately don't have a pic of this.

The sensors themselves are different between the 1G vs 2G/Evo
The Evo8 is same size as the 2G, except for the wire length;. thus maybe the different part numbers...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back