The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Sponsorship 2nd Race Greg Collier

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm only 26...........see what racing can do to you! :cry:
Greg

LoL @ Greg...>Thats pretty funny.... :thumb: :D

Good race Greg. :thumb:

Just one quick question about the race protocol. Why would they use a black flag to stop the race? Shouldn't it have been a red flag for stopping the race? I always remember the black flag (and the meatball black/red flag) being used for penalties for single drivers, and red for stopping races. Judging from your description of the cornerworkers using black flags, and the guy at the start/finish not paying attention to the field when they were rolling up makes it apparent that the entire flagging staff had their heads up their collective asses.

Rx3 said:
Good race Greg. :thumb:

Just one quick question about the race protocol. Why would they use a black flag to stop the race? Shouldn't it have been a red flag for stopping the race? I always remember the black flag (and the meatball black/red flag) being used for penalties for single drivers, and red for stopping races. Judging from your description of the cornerworkers using black flags, and the guy at the start/finish not paying attention to the field when they were rolling up makes it apparent that the entire flagging staff had their heads up their collective asses.

The corner workers are radio-ed their orders from race control on the tower. A red flag means to immediately slow and stop your car, hopefully within site of the closest corner worker so you can see other flags. You then must sit in your car until you're given the go ahead to proceed. This is used in cases where there is a catastrophic accident on the track that you may become involved in if you proceed. As far as the starter not being aware of my race group, there where 2 green flags given to race groups that started before we did so he probably got a little confused (a little scary).
There were so many accidents from the first two race groups, with tow trucks, fire engines, and ambulances, driving on the track simultaneously the situation became a little hairy. I have a video of the race that should be up in the next couple of days. You'll see a lot of the what went on, on the track that day from my perspective in the car.
There were quite a few heads up A$$es that day but the major of those were drivers pushing their cars beyond their control. My group "Super Unlimited" did an excellent job of avoiding the incidents, but it gets a little scary power drifting at 150 MPH over dirt, gavel, and miscellaneous car parts. What perturbs me (and you'll see from the video) is that I was passing and kicking butt after my missed shift, and I think I could have been in contention for second if not first place. But that's what racing is all about............
Greg

Wow I know so many people have already commended you on your writing, but I am going to join in and thank you anyways. We all really appreciate your raceday articles, and you have made the DSM community very proud in your performance so far. Keep doing what your doing and victory will be inevitable!

sonicnofadz said:
Wow I know so many people have already commended you on your writing, but I am going to join in and thank you anyways. We all really appreciate your raceday articles, and you have made the DSM community very proud in your performance so far. Keep doing what your doing and victory will be inevitable!

Every "thank you" is personal to me! I mean who can get enough thanks anyway? I've added a new sponsor to the car "Hoyt Technologies" or hoyttech.com. They're supplying the car with a complete video system that will show picture in picture, real time lateral g-force, RPM, and MPH all recorded simultaneously on the video. The videos will then be produced and hosted on a site for all to view. So hopefully if all is successful the next addition of my race journal should be accompanied by an in-car video like you see on the Speed Channel. I'm really excited by this new dimension that will actually show what's going on while I'm driving.

Thanks again :D

Greg

I would like to say somthing differnt than the rest of the guys but there's nothing i cant say that hasnt been said already but ill do it anyways. You do a hell of a job and i look forward to reading every post you put up, ohh yeah and thanks for making us FWD owners proud :dsm:

Turbonetics2G said:
I would like to say somthing differnt than the rest of the guys but there's nothing i cant say that hasnt been said already but ill do it anyways. You do a hell of a job and i look forward to reading every post you put up, ohh yeah and thanks for making us FWD owners proud :dsm:

Thank you.........I'm glad to have this opportunity to bring a little of my race world into the forfront, especially a DSM racer, and FWD of course!! ROFL ROFL

Greg

I know I REALLY enjoying reading your write ups Greg. I have been following you as well like I said on the NASA web site. You are atop the Super Unlimited. I think you would be even further ahead if had not been for one I think you only got like 45 point for. Not sure what happened there, I think it was before you were writting on this board. Keep up the AWESOME racing and writting bro.

tsiboosted said:
I know I REALLY enjoying reading your write ups Greg. I have been following you as well like I said on the NASA web site. You are atop the Super Unlimited. I think you would be even further ahead if had not been for one I think you only got like 45 point for. Not sure what happened there, I think it was before you were writting on this board. Keep up the AWESOME racing and writting bro.

45 points was for Saturday when I only completed one lap with 2 rear tires that I totally destroyed. (My fault for not checking them) All is well that ends well, what ever that means?

Greg

O I C...I do remember that now. Yeah way to go there bro....kidding...At least you are on top of the standings. You are doing VERY well Greg, keep it up for the DSM'ers out here. Your roll cage, is that custom made or is that from a company on the net or loacal or what? Thanx man. Keep it up.

tsiboosted said:
O I C...I do remember that now. Yeah way to go there bro....kidding...At least you are on top of the standings. You are doing VERY well Greg, keep it up for the DSM'ers out here. Your roll cage, is that custom made or is that from a company on the net or loacal or what? Thanx man. Keep it up.

Roll cage is from AutoPower with added NASCAR weld-ons in the doors. The window net is from Ultrashield the same company that supplied my 15lb. aluminum seat and fireresistant drivers suit. :D

Greg

otofmyway6 said:
Great story man. Do you do all your own work on the car?

I did all the body work and installed the roll cage, put in the new motor with upgrades, the brakes and so-on. John Shepherd built the tranny for me and RRE tweaked the motor. John Mueller did the suspension complete he's really good at what he does. Scot Gray does all the EMS tuning (he's incredible)! I do all the maintenance between races. I just installed a new EGT probe for the one that burnt out last race. When I pulled the heat shield I noticed that one of the bolts on top of the exhaust manifold that holds the turbo on had come out at least a quarter of the way. That's happened before and I didn't notice it so I ended up burning the gasket between the manifold and the turbo. I didn't race that day and it really sucked......
The car takes quite a beating during races so it's real important that I check the car from top to bottom making sure everythings tight and in place. I also keep the motor real clean to see if I have any developing oil leaks.
It all takes a lot of energy....but it's worth it :D

Greg

Wow those articles are great! And like a few other members said its just like your right there in the seat! Absoultly awsome! Really gives fellow DSM Tuners somthing to shoot for! I really like the part about not having to be a pro or a rich person to race and have fun.

Just wanted to say thanks and can't wait to read the next event! Good luck in the season!

Josh

chowda633 said:
Wow those articles are great! And like a few other members said its just like your right there in the seat! Absoultly awsome! Really gives fellow DSM Tuners somthing to shoot for! I really like the part about not having to be a pro or a rich person to race and have fun.

Just wanted to say thanks and can't wait to read the next event! Good luck in the season!

Josh

Thanks Josh ROFL I'm sorry I haven't replied sooner........Been real busy last couple of weeks dealing with life's curve balls. I'm getting ready to run the weekend after next and let me tell you I can't wait! This is what makes my life worth living :thumb:
DSM's FOREVER :cool:
Greg

Greg - I have a few questions for you man. How did you get involved with the NASA pro circuit? What steps did you take prior to being in NASA? Did you compete in autocross or just all track session type racing? How much is it for you to participate in these NASA events? What does it take to get to the level you are at now? If you dont want to answer some of these on the boards I understand. If you like, you can E-mail me directly. Thank you in advance.

[email protected]

tsiboosted said:
Greg - I have a few questions for you man. How did you get involved with the NASA pro circuit? What steps did you take prior to being in NASA? Did you compete in autocross or just all track session type racing? How much is it for you to participate in these NASA events? What does it take to get to the level you are at now? If you dont want to answer some of these on the boards I understand. If you like, you can E-mail me directly. Thank you in advance.

[email protected]

I ran with TCRA (Touring Car Racing Association) for a year and a lot of the drivers were running with NASA. I began running both series and found I had a bit more in common with the NASA people, plus there was a much bigger field of cars to compete against.
Yes, I ran auto-X for a year re-honing my driving skills for the big tracks. It's great experience and the SCCA auto-X people are good.
Between entry fees, travel expenses, tires, race fuel, car stuff, etc.. it runs a minimum of $2500.00 an event and I've spent up to $5000.00 for a weekend of total racing bliss.
It depends on whats going on with the car, how many Hoosier's I flat spot, how far away the track is, ya-da, ya-da.
It takes a lot of time, energy, money, and most of all passion. My motto is, if you drop all your excuses, all you can do is do. But this is true with anything you want to succeed at, just go for it and take no prisoners, set a long range goal made up of a lot of short range goals. You'll get there eventually if you want it bad enough..............

Wait till you hear what happened at my race this past weekend!!!!!

Greg

Greg Collier said:
Wait till you hear what happened at my race this past weekend!!!!!

Greg

I'm already in suspense!
Memorial day weekend I am supposed to have two races, but since my car isn't ready I'll only have one. I'll be racing a TR6 with www.evotuners.net stickers on it at the auto-x on S aturday then watching IDRC on Sunday.

ldstang50 said:
I'm already in suspense!
Memorial day weekend I am supposed to have two races, but since my car isn't ready I'll only have one. I'll be racing a TR6 with www.evotuners.net stickers on it at the auto-x on S aturday then watching IDRC on Sunday.

S W E E T :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Greg - Thanks for answering my questions man. It is good to get your insight on racing at this level. Our autocross track got shut down, so now we have to drive a few hours to race, but hey it is WELL worth it. I saw your point total for the last race but couldnt find the results. I cant wait to read your race journal on this one now. Thanks again Greg.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back