The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

Spinny Top(less) Monarch Green Pearl

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This is not my favorite car (1997 Spyder GST), however the built engine is appealing, and the body is in good shape.

Others I may post about soon:
  • 1997 (I think) stock-ish Spyder GST (E16G and VRSF FMIC soon to go on)
  • 1994 3000GT VR4 71k mi., built engine, sort of BPU with a 13g and exhaust. Twin E16G kit soon to go on after I deal with a blown VCU (TC leaked out and caused VCU failure on low mileage trans)
  • 1994 3000GT VR4 single turbo project that may never get worked on
  • 1999 3000GT Base (with VR4 subframe and drivetrain on hand to go in eventually)?
  • Another 3S parts car

Will post updates below about this green spyder that has yet to run with the built engine.

Today, I attempted to replace the crank sensor since the old was broken from where the last owner attempted to remove without removing enough items to do it properly.

I also attempted to replace it without removing the timing belt (by de-pinning the new plug), however I was unwilling to remove the clips from the new cable to feed it behind the timing belt idler pulley where it needs to go to route properly. It won't feed through with the plastic grommet and upper clip attached. So, timing belt removal it is.

Ordered new mid and lower timing covers, Gates racing belt, hyd tensioner, and new or reman harmonic dampener. The existing belt may be new, however I wasn't able to find markings on it as it sits.

Received timing covers very quickly from JNZ. Since it was overcast and raining, I went through stainless hardware assortments to choose three bolt sizes to later mount the timing covers with.

First looked at ASA Mitsu app, and the diagram was somewhat mind numbing to figure out what goes where. I looked at the related hardware specs to get an idea of sizing and then said to heck with it and sized them by eye. The sizes chosen are similar ranges to stock hardware.

All but the two longer bolts are matching, all are 10mm head / 6mm shank, and the threads are all roughly the same protrusion that will secure the covers.

Will prep these with blue loctite and probably glue the washers to the bolt heads to make them easier to deal with in the future. Could also add o-rings underneath after inserting into the covers to make them somewhat "captive", and the o-rings "shouldn't" be large enough to cause any damage if bits or pieces deteriorate later on. It'd be nice if the hardware were all captive to the covers, but that's more of a nice-to-have.

Kind of pedantic, but that's very minor progress. Mostly, it saves me from ordering and waiting for more parts.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back