The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

speedometer problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aproductions

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 11, 2009
Allentown, Pennsylvania
im sure this problem is prett different from the other speedometer problems on here. anyways 1999 eclipse gst 5 speed....

sometimes the speedometer sticks at 0 until i press the black trip tick button and then it works. other times it shows 0 until im at about 20mph then it works. i also feel like it is a bit off sometimes too like i dont think im going that fast. any ideas ?

Check the little plastic gear that is connected to the sensor inside the tranny. See if a few teeth are chipped up and worn down, that could cause it to be off because mine was doing the same thing until I replaced the little gear for 12 bucks. Good luck.

The gear is attatched to the sensor. Its on the transmission. let me see if i can direct you(my car is not outside so i cant take a pic) from the passenger side of your car its a orange plug on the transmission. Or if you look down the engine compartment like you were trying to look at the ground its on the tranny not near the front but towards the back and there will be a plug going into your tranny. Unplug the plug and pull the sensor.

Yea the gear will come right out. From the way its designed, it looks like its works like,....The gear on the end of the sensor sends a signal of how fast its spining and then it sends a signal to your gauge that shows how fast your going and the distance being traveled at that speed. The gear is connected to the sensor.

Any chance you took the cluster out (maybe to put in some new gauge faces?) :p
Lol....just thought I'd ask ### sometimes pressing too hard when putting the needle back on will cause the speedo to stick...
...failing that, if you have any 2G buddies, just swap clusters and see if it still happens; might help narrow it down

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back