The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Speedo and Tach Revs, Car Doesn't go.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuck_3

20+ Year Contributor
May 18, 2002
Juneau, Alaska
First off I'm posting this for my friend because he only has a hotmail account and can't sign up here so I thought I'd try help him out. I tried searching for this but couldn't find anything like this. When he first told me about it I though it might be his clutch going out but it only happens every once in a while and in 1st and 2nd gear. When my clutch was going out it was like I was in neutral and in higher gears. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.

The car is a 1997 TSi AWD 5 speed, with intake and exhaust.

"The other day I was getting onto the highway and I gunned it to get into traffic, well at about 3K rpms in 1st gear both the Speedo and Tach needles took off but the car wasnt moving. So I shifted into second and the same thing when I hit about 3K rpms somthing just slips and I just roll. At first I thought it might be my clutch going out but the speedo is going crazy too saying im going 100 in second, and its really only in 1st and 2nd gear when I hit boost, I can feel it alittle bit in the other gears to but its not as bad. I work alot and didnt have any time yet to get under the car to see if there is somthing not right or not but I was hoping that if someone else has had this problem too that they might be able to tell me what it could be so I dont waste my little bit of time I have to work on it. Thanks guys!

PS. it also can come and go, sometimes when Im driving I can floor it and everything is just fine, but other times it just slips and the engine just revs without moving the car..."

He can hear the engine revving correct? I am trying to make sure it is not just the tach and speedo needles moving but the engine is actually making revving noises? If the engine is not revving and the needles are going nuts then the gauge pod is probably bad or has a short. BUT if the engine is actually revving but he is not moving and the speedo is reading then I would check to make sure one of the CV shafts is not popped out. The reason I say CV shaft is because the speedo is driven off of the transmission and when one shaft is not in then the differential will spin the side that does not have any resistance, hance the engine revving and the speedo reading like he is moving.

To answer your question, yes the engine revs. He took off today and it sounded like he was haulin but when I looked over he wasn't goin anywhere (pretty much like a honda, haha!). But that could be it he says he hears noise in the front end when it happens as well. I will have to get him to come over to my garage so when can jack it up and take a look when he has some time. Thanks for the response.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back