The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

ECMlink Speed Density lean during spool

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perrytheplatypus157

Proven Member
Jun 18, 2017
Fall River, Wisconsin
I'm trying to dial in my AFR before I start turning things up but it seems that there's a lean spot during spool up. I'm not sure how to approach this without creating a map that jumps around. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• leanspool.elg
    18.3 KB · Views: 38
“It looks to me like it just needs more VE there. It should peak somewhere, and that's likely the spot. :) Right now it's very flat. Add VE to captured values and you can see a 2d slice of the VE table that's used on a pull.”

This was a response I got from Kevin Jewer for anyone who wants to reference this post. Following this up though, I always thought peak VE wasn’t going to happen until full boost was made. If anyone could clarify why this may be, that would be great!

Perry, why don't you just richen up that cell and a few around it? Keep your old log so you can change it back if it doesn't care for it. I go in and do a "SDVEAdjust" or something like that from the actual log by right clicking in the log and then apply its suggestions. It sure helps me dial my idle and cruise tune in, not sure if it will help on the WOT tho. Kevin is a good tuner, tuned my sons raggity lookin 95 AWD Talon, stock except the HX35 and a Morrison fab mani and big injectors. Ran 11.5 right off the trailer.

I didn’t richer it because I thought there may have been an issue somewhere that I wasn’t seeing. I didn’t think my peak VE was supposed to happen before I hit full boost. That’s why I was so confused. SDVEadjust doesn’t quite reach that far. It breaks into open loop at that time. I know I can change when it goes into open loop, but I have no problem adjusting it. I just wanted to make sure that I’m not covering up some other tuning issue or problem elsewhere.

Well you got lucky with me today, I brought Link to work with me today (shhhhh) so let me just take a peek at the log. Has Kevin tuned it or was he just helping you out?

You sneaky dog. Kevin was just helping me out. I posted on Facebook for a little advice because I got nothing on here and I figured I would report back to my original post on here so it would be recorded

Perry, are you running Gas or E85?
I am looking at your log and MAN you are lean....for a easy way to see what happens, if it were me, I would decrease my global fuel by 1 or 2% (-63.1 or -62.1) and see what it does to the whole map. On E85 even 13's are lean. When I ran that lean (and I did), my header would glow BRIGHT orange.
If you just want to richen up that area I circled, give it more fuel, say 98ish and see if the pull stays richer.
Just what I see and I am sure others can see a lot more and hopefully will chime in too.
Boost comes in really late for you too, what turbo? Must be a 60 trim or more.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Perry I did notice that you should manually adjust your TPS at least so that you don't have to use the Link adjustment so much. Try to get the idle set at .63v, throttle closed.
Some of us disable airflow smoothing with SD, it is under the Misc tab.
Also, some lock the Temp and Barometer under ECU Inputs.
If you are on gasoline, I would want to see more of a 11ish AFR and lean it out to 11.5 as the power comes in, looks like around 4500-5000.
These are just notes I took when I looked at your log. :)

Yes. I will add fuel there as well as add a percent or two to the global to bring the VE numbers down a touch. I usually like to stay around the 99-100% mark topped out. It’s a 6466 and S3s on E85. I understand it is quite lean for a hot spool up, but I watch my temperatures in the process and brought it back to 12.0 under full boost. I will adjust it accordingly. I appreciate the input and pictures. If anyone has anything to add, don’t hold back!!

I had to enable airflow smoothing because the resolution of the 5 bar map sensor is poor. My 4 bar didn’t need smoothing at all which was nice.
Is there a downside to using the tps adjust function? Also, why may some lock the temp and Baro?

You will lower the global number just slightly. I am sure that's what you were meaning but just being clear about it.
I know its a PITA, but I would manually adjust the TPS. I noticed how much adjustment you had in TPS ADj and personally, I like to get it as close as possible manually and then do the tweak for the final 100% swing. Some say it makes a difference in the way the car performs with it being done that way even though Link has the adjustment in it.
I put allen head bolts in that dam thing so I could adjust it much easier also.
Hoping some tuners take a look and give a more professional opinion. :thumb:

You have asked a question that I can't answer. Our tuners on here can tell us why some lock those values. I just went into some of my old logs from when I was getting some help and those were checked is why I brought it up.
I will have to move to a 5 bar sensor also when I get the car running again. Went bigger in cams and injectors and had been running right around 40 lbs of boost on the older setup, pushing it a little more with the new stuff. The 5 bar is a little tricky is it???

One more question, what injectors are you using? I was running a set of 1650 Low Z injectors and had a similar problem, as they wont transition well between low pulse widths and hi. It either liked idling or light cruising or WOT. It always would "stumble" just a bit as boost came in. When I went to Hi Z injectors, that all went away.

Last edited:
Yes, I meant lower global (not sure how you look at it since it is a negative number). I’ll adjust my TB to see if I can notice anything. It’s an s90.

I had the same setup with a 4 bar and everything was smooth but once I installed the 5 bar, I had spiking. If you check out “the big book of tuning tips”,I mentioned airflow smoothing. This was specifically based off of my experience with my new 5 bar. 4 bar somehow read up to 46 psi but I figured I should swap sensors once 43 psi was a constant thing. I’ve got ID2000s in it now. They don’t seem to stumble as far as I’m aware. I just want a nice looking speed density table is all! Making sure that I’m not just tuning the car, but also calibrating it to the computer. Reason it’s at 30 psi now is because I swapped to a 6 bolt from a 7 bolt head and I just wanted to dial it in first.

Good info Perry! I love a "pretty" map too. Mine are not as "smooth" to look at and it is because I just never got to the point that I could just go in and make it all nice. I was getting to that when my crank timing gear walked forward and tore up the whole upper end. Our setups are similar though. I was on Kelford 264's and my HX40 with 1650s and had just swapped in my 2150's and was dialing it all in when that happened. I even run the 7 bolt head too.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back