The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

2G Spark plugs at 30k

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sniffbooger

Proven Member
Apr 12, 2020
San Diego, California
Just changed the plugs at almost 30k, NGK BPR6, what do these tell me?? It's been running ok, but need to top off the oil and the coolant every week...

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Coolant leaking into cyls 3-4? If so , will likely progress to blown gasket there.

Burning oil on #4 and #3. Doubt it's a valve seal issue as those typically never reach the combustion chamber unless it's happening on the intake side which isn't the usual failure spot. I used to daily-drive a Sunfire like 20 years ago that had a bad guide on #2 and would lose a quart every 200 miles but never ended up on the plug, it was all in the exhaust port. Rebuilt head and I was good to go.

I'd suggest a leakdown test as a place to start but if the head's never been rebuilt that's likely where the oil is going. The stock bottom ends on our cars are quite durable unless they've been abused or driven extensively with washed-out oil.

Head was rebuilt with bigger cams and also the bottom end was rebuilt before I purchased it. I bought it 2 years ago, non running condition. I replaced many sensors, alternator, etc..and I have been constant on the oil changes. The oil currently does not smell like coolant, and it is a normal color oil. The coolant does not smell funny, and it does not appear to have oli in it. However, I have not yet done a block test for combustion gases in the coolant. The catch can from valve cover and PCV hose does appear to have yellowish oily goop buildup recently...yuck!

I guess I'll try to get a compression done at very least...before I yank it and replace it with my other motor I'm rebuilding. Hoping to get some more miles outta her so I can finish the other engine!!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back