The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Spark plugs and wires?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kareem17

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 14, 2003
Sarnia, Ontario_Canada
I am going to be doing a tune up on my 97 gst, and I should buy some new spark plugs, wires, and a fuel filter. any recommendations? I haven't done the free mods as of yet, but as soon as the weather starts to clear up here in canada, they are all gonna be done.

--------------------------------------------------
Garrett Big T-28
K&N fipk
blitz DCII turbo timer w/ boost gauge

First, let me say search. Then this is my opinion:

I just bought new plugs and wires from www.roadraceengineering.com
those gusy are great. i went with bpr6es plugs and NGK wires. I had the same setup in my lude(not the exact same plugs, but NGK either way) and i loved it!
I am an avid NGK fan though. But you cant go wrong, and RRE has the best prices for them, and they are a very good stand up shop. call them at: 562-777-1522

I have had two sets of $80 wires go bad in my car. For spark plugs get the NGKbpr7es, or bpr6es. I am currently going to try some stock mitsu wires since I have heard they last a long time unlike others I have tried. A while back I bought wires from a local parts store w/ a lifetime warranty. Everytime I pulled those wires off the boot would rip. I would stay away from the generic wires local parts stores stock.

Just go all NGK:thumb: . that is the OEM company that made the wires and plugs from the factory. Cant beat them:cool:
NGK

sounds like NGK is the way to go for the plugs and wires... but what about a fuel filter? are they all the same?

Originally posted by kareem17
but what about a fuel filter? are they all the same?
I.... don't think you need a fuel filter yet. Read some of the stories about replacing it.

Anyone's upgraded wires are fine, from Taylor to Accel to anyone else.

Originally posted by Defiant
I.... don't think you need a fuel filter yet. Read some of the stories about replacing it.

the only story I could find was a fuel filter should be replaced if your DSM has high miles. My 97 gs-t has 78,500 miles on it, so I figure I might as well replace it. Also NGK spark plug wires come in blue, does anyone know where to get NGK in red?

they only coem in blue:dsm: (Function above form is the motto here) but if you want red wires, i suggest Magnecore's! they are red and a damned good wire too, many of the members on this site use them and love them! theyare a bit more expensive though:thumb:

either way you cant go wrong!
good luck

Well since I want red, might as well go with the 8.5mm magnacore wires through Slowboy racing. and as for plugs they have 2 sets, NGK, and NGK Iridium. Is it worth going with the Iridium? or just go with BPR8ES or BPR7ES?

Garrett Big T-28
K&N fipk
blitz DCII turbo timer w/ boost gauge

No, dont get iridium. just the the regular plugs. and def dont get the bpr8's and maybe not the 7's. here is how i understand it:
BPR6ES=10psi-16psi
BPR7ES=16psi-20something.psi
and i have never heard of anyone usign the BPR8ES, but i cant imagine the amount of boost needed to get proper use out of those. but i may be wrong about that. but if i were you, i would jsut get the bpr6es. i have tehm and love them

yeah, just go with the ES. those are the best. i am running those in my car currently, and love it!

Originally posted by greenmachine97

BPR6ES=10psi-16psi
BPR7ES=16psi-20something.psi

Can I get away with using BPR7ES? what are the pros and cons of using this with my current system?

Garrett Big T-28
K&N fipk
Blitz DCII turbo timer w/ boost gauge

You'll just have to see how your setup likes them. The difference between 6 and 7s is how long they take to cool off the porcelain in the tip, inside the combustion chamber. 7s stay hotter. If they get too hot, they can melt, bring on preignition, and (in very extreme cases) damage the engine. If they're too cold, they'll run like crap as the tips load up with ash and junk deposits.

I don't know if a 28 is enough to call for 7s.

BPR7ES would be fine if you wanted to try them. I use them on my t-25 at 16psi with no problems. The only reason you might want to use BPR6ES is if you are running low boost and don't plan to raise it.

Anyone's upgraded wires are fine, from Taylor to Accel to anyone else.

Has anyone ever "converted" this pain in the ass fuel filter so something like a K&N inline? That way you wouldn't have to deal with that bracket and those damn banjo bolts and so on?

At least on 1gs you could use the one hose that is already rubber, flare out the steel fuel line and faster a rubber hose to that, then put the inline in.

Hell, I just pseudo-jacked your thread, sorry.

was wondering something....

Whats the deal with Nology ? are they any good for a 95 GSX ? or good if you buy there plugs,wires,ect....

hope to here replys

You'll be sakraficing a whole lot of money for no gain over anyone's "premium" wire set. Yeh. DO NOT DOUBLE-POST on hear. :rolleyes:

Basically.

Also, for the price you would pay for the wires your talking about I'm sure you could pickup...

New ACCELL wires.
New NGK Plugs
A Spark Plug Gapper
A spark plug socket
and a wrench to change em.

:thumb:

The BR7ES.

Notice no "P" like BPR7ES.

P stands for Protruding tip.

Protruding tip still leaves the tip in the quench of combustion.....without it you won't have the tip heating up and causing detonation or Knock.

.030 for under 16psi
.028 for 16psi and above

My car 98' GSX...(mods in my profile)
was stuttering when boost hit.......18psi.....after I changed to BR7ES's the stutter went away and HELLA pull replaced it.

I have heard that BR7ES's will foul but I have had no problems YET...and I have 2500 miles on them.

CHeck your local motorcycle shops...they deal with nothing but NGKs.....my Honda motorcycle store had them for $1.64 each.

Best $9.67 I have spent mod-wise.

GSXTACY

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back