The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Spark Plug wires!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

talon_frost

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 10, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario_Canada
Hello i have looked this up and cant really seem to find the answer....But i have noticed that spark plug wires for our dsm's come in different sizes ....now what are the sizes that I can get for my car because i've seen someone with 10mm and the ones I have in my car are 7mm. And does length have anythiyn to do with them....so my question is my father can get me wires from his work ...so if he can get the same length for all the wires but they are 9 mm will that be ok for my car ???? Thanks for the help

^^ I agree with snowboarder, I have been using magnacore wires for years now and had no problems whatsoever with them. However, if your dad can get you a set of 9mm wires, they should work on your car. I know quite a few ppl that have upgraded to 8.5mm wires over stock and they seem to work fine so i would imagine 9mm wires should be okay as well.

well the wires he can get me are used in drag car all over the world..thats why he was asking me about the size becasue my engine is alot smaller then the ones he works on....i mean he can get me up to 11mm if i need it ???so what would u guys do in my situation...

I have the same question as you.. I need to change my wires too.
Im thinking in getting the Taylor "409" 10.4mm
i've been talking to some people and most of them basicly said "bigger is better"
hahahaha

but what about length does that have a big factor in all of this too?

Longer wires will have more resistance, but if they are quality wires the extra length won't make any difference really. Just for reference, here are the lengths of 1g NGK wires.

Wire Length No.1 419mm 16.5in.
Wire Length No.2 579mm 22.8in.
Wire Length No.3 719mm 28.31in.
Wire Length No.4 659mm 25.94in.

I dont think length is an issue.
the current flow from the plugs to the coil will be the same I think.
some one correct me if im wrong.

The only thing that is gonna make any difference is the diameter of the wire.

well ill try the wires and ill see how the car runs and ill keep it posted becasue if they run smooth and clean then maybe ill get enough to give out u know to dsm lovers like me!!!i mean he told me i can have as many as i want they throw out about 400 a day sooo.

I think the main thing with length is any longer than stock and you will just have a bunch of extra wire hanging around under the hood. As for diameter, i would stick with 8mm or 8.5mm wires, for a street car they should do the job just fine.

The shorter the wire the less resistance (good). For the most part thickness determines sensitivity to interference and crossfire.
Taylor is outstanding for building custom wire sets but I believe you would be happier with the Magnecors...they have an excellent history with high underhood temps found with DSMs and are basically 'bolt-on'.

As always, YMMV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back