The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G Spare tire hold down bolt (GSX)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcubed45

Proven Member
Mar 8, 2013
Honolulu, Hawaii
Hi,

Does anyone sell the bolt/plate used for holding the spare tire in the trunk well? Also is it a different part for the gsx or is it the same for all models?

My gsx didn't have the trunk liner and stuff when I bought it from the last owner. I'm assuming it's the stock spare that's in there now, but it definitely sits higher than the spare from my old RS. I think I read that the trunk is different in the AWD models? Is it just a different/larger spare so the floor/carpet thing sits higher? I'll probably eventually fabricate a floor out of plywood or something.

Thanks!

The bolt/washer is the same for all 2g Eclipses. The spare tires themselves have different diameter, but in terms of supporting the floor you can flip a FWD spare upside down and it will be the proper height. It just won't be the proper diameter and shouldn't be used as a spare tire.

EDIT: An upside-down FWD spare tire might not have anything to sit on and might not work, but I could have sworn I did this with my Talon, which didn't come with a spare tire and had a sunken trunk floor. I am pretty sure I just took the tire from the Spyder, flipped it upside down, and used it to hold up the floor of the trunk.

EDIT2: If you have the parts from a FWD hatch, you can also just use the spare and trunk floor from that. The floor sits higher only so that it can clear the larger spare tire of the AWD model. If you have the parts and don't mind the trunk floor and folded-down seats being at different heights you can just do that instead. Remove the plastic storage compartments/risers on either side of the trunk as well. I contemplated doing that for more storage volume but in the end I prioritized a completely flat load floor instead.

Last edited:
rs, gs, gst, gsx all use these 2 part numbers

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The bolt/washer is the same for all 2g Eclipses. The spare tires themselves have different diameter, but in terms of supporting the floor you can flip a FWD spare upside down and it will be the proper height. It just won't be the proper diameter and shouldn't be used as a spare tire.

EDIT: An upside-down FWD spare tire might not have anything to sit on and might not work, but I could have sworn I did this with my Talon, which didn't come with a spare tire and had a sunken trunk floor. I am pretty sure I just took the tire from the Spyder, flipped it upside down, and used it to hold up the floor of the trunk.

EDIT2: If you have the parts from a FWD hatch, you can also just use the spare and trunk floor from that. The floor sits higher only so that it can clear the larger spare tire of the AWD model. If you have the parts and don't mind the trunk floor and folded-down seats being at different heights you can just do that instead. Remove the plastic storage compartments/risers on either side of the trunk as well. I contemplated doing that for more storage volume but in the end I prioritized a completely flat load floor instead.

Thanks. Don't have extra parts so I'll have to make my own trunk floor. Does the AWD floor just sit even with the folded down seats and hump between the strut towers? I remember my RS having that "step down" in the trunk area.

Also this is technically an AWD talon that was converted into an eclipse by previous owner if that makes any difference. I'm pretty sure the spare and interior would be the same as the GSX.

rs, gs, gst, gsx all use these 2 part numbers

You must be logged in to view this image or video.
TY!

Thanks. Don't have extra parts so I'll have to make my own trunk floor. Does the AWD floor just sit even with the folded down seats and hump between the strut towers? I remember my RS having that "step down" in the trunk area.
Correct. And again it is only that way due to the spare tire size difference so you can choose to recreate the FWD or AWD trunk floor height depending on preference.

Also this is technically an AWD talon that was converted into an eclipse by previous owner if that makes any difference. I'm pretty sure the spare and interior would be the same as the GSX.
Yes, there is no difference in the interior between the Talon and Eclipse beyond a few Mitsubishi/Chrysler logos and standard features like leather vs cloth. The trunks will be identical and parts are interchangeable.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back