The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Spal Fan - Wiring - Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TCB91GSX

Proven Member
Jan 11, 2021
Denver, Colorado
Hey y'all.

New to me car and I am cleaning up a few things, I have stumbled across a relay that ran over the top of the radiator that I decided I wanted to move out of sight and tuck the wires.

The driver's side fan has been replaced with a Spal fan and wired into the existing harness, however the connections are questionable. The PO told me that currently the fan is wired to come on when the A/C is on, I have not been able to verify this. A/C still functions.

I looked at many threads previously and was unable to make sense of it so hoping someone could clarify a few things.

Ideally, I want both fans to come on at the same time so I can achieve maximum cooling.

1) What is the grey box w/the arrow pointing to it in the middle of the radiator ? It looks like the PO de-pinned the connector then wired both of those wires together, which would make this not function properly ?

2) Can I get rid of this box and the connections ?

3) How do I wire the relay to be trigger by the passenger side fan aka the thermo switch ? PO said he previously tried that and fried a relay..

4) Any overall suggestions to help clean this up would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_6917.jpg
    IMG_6917.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_6916.jpg
    IMG_6916.jpg
    485.5 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_6915.jpg
    IMG_6915.jpg
    634.7 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_6914.jpg
    IMG_6914.jpg
    603.1 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_6913.jpg
    IMG_6913.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 63
The plug that is going to the gray box (resistor) is wired together because the aftermarket fan only has one speed and the OEM fan had two speeds ? Can someone confirm this ? If so, would this mean that fan would still come in to help cooling as I saw noted in another post and also when the A/C is on, but just at one speed ?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Dusty B,

Thank you for your reply, its provided some clarity on the fan conditions, etc.

I still do not understand why the two plug connector going to the resistor is wired together.

If someone could answer what wire to use to trigger the relay to turn on the driver's side fan when the thermo sensor is activated that would be super helpful... I am not super interested in trial by fire...

Thanks!

Thank you, I've read this pretty thoroughly.

I believe my hiccup lies in the fact that I am keeping my OEM fan on the passenger side. Those wiring diagrams stated in the other one make perfect sense for two aftermarket fans, but that is not the application.

Does any know if I can tap high speed wire off the passenger side fan into a new relay as the trigger source and run the spal fan ? I would of course have the relay powered from the battery pin 30, ground the relay separately.

Thank you, I've read this pretty thoroughly.

I believe my hiccup lies in the fact that I am keeping my OEM fan on the passenger side. Those wiring diagrams stated in the other one make perfect sense for two aftermarket fans, but that is not the application.

Does any know if I can tap high speed wire off the passenger side fan into a new relay as the trigger source and run the spal fan ? I would of course have the relay powered from the battery pin 30, ground the relay separately.
That would likely work.

Yea that is what prompted this whole endeavor... it gets HOT, melted electrical tape, gobs of solder wrapped in electrical tape, definite fire hazard that I wanted to address. I am going to move it by the passenger side head light and tuck all the wires.

That's exactly where I have mine. Do you have ecmlink?

I don't, I have TunerPro RT and Moates Ostrich 2.0. I am debating on switching over as I need some help dialing in tuning (for a different thread) but it appears that would make my situation the easiest when asking tuning questions..

I don't, I have TunerPro RT and Moates Ostrich 2.0. I am debating on switching over as I need some help dialing in tuning (for a different thread) but it appears that would make my situation the easiest when asking tuning questions..
Darn, you can have complete control over when the fans turn on when using ecmlink by wiring the fuel pressure solenoid wire as your ground then programming the solenoid. Maybe some time in the future. Good luck.

Darn, you can have complete control over when the fans turn on when using ecmlink by wiring the fuel pressure solenoid wire as your ground then programming the solenoid. Maybe some time in the future. Good luck.

That would be sweet!
There is a table in TunerPro to lower the temperature at which the fan kicks on. I have some control but yea the ECMlink way sounds more commanding.

Thanks for your help!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back