The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Sounds like something is rubbing the timing cover.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stackattack1992

Probationary Member
Jul 14, 2008
haverhill, Massachusetts
Have a 1990 Eagle talon tsi Awd just installed new timing belts components ran perfect until I put timing cover on and new accessory belts sounds like the timing cover is rubbing is this common?

Have a 1990 Eagle talon tsi Awd just installed new timing belts components ran perfect until I put timing cover on and new accessory belts sounds like the timing cover is rubbing is this common?
Nope. Double check your work. Make sure the cover is on correctly. Ensure your harmonic balancer isn't separated.

When I did my first T-belt, and changed out all the accessory belts, they would squeal as things warmed up. I think I mostly traced it to alt & ps belts needed tightening. It's a bummer that a belt tension gauge is a pretty pricey item for the infrequent use it gets.
Not saying this is what you've got. Depends on the rubbing sound, I suppose. I would think you could turn the crank by hand and listen for actual cover rubbing noise. Do your covers look warped?

The inside of the timing cover looks beat up scrapped I might need to just replace it but thanks everyone

I have a few broken ones I can send you. I had to get a black OEM one because the silver is NLA, and even the black is around $100, depending on seller. The plastic likes to crack around the bolt sleeve. The clear, aftermarket ones are probably a decent option at this point, though I'm personally not a fan of the look.

I have a few broken ones I can send you. I had to get a black OEM one because the silver is NLA, and even the black is around $100, depending on seller. The plastic likes to crack around the bolt sleeve. The clear, aftermarket ones are probably a decent option at this point, though I'm personally not a fan of the look.
Looks like Mitsubishi parts direct has it for $120 plus the seal for the inside

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back