The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Sounds like a knock right under my valve cover

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cookmeup272

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 14, 2009
Utica, New_York
So today I was driving around. Car is finally running good so i decide to open it up a little. After a few WOT pulls i notice that my car starts developing a knocking noise. It seems like it starts at only 2000 rpms. I pulled over and it sounds like it is in the head towards the timing belt. I also noticed that there is oil in the middle section of my valve cover where the plugs are but there is no oil in the spark plug cylinder. Anyone have any idea where this oil is coming from or maybe have an idea what this noise is?

Well it depends on what you mean by a "knock." There are a few threads on here with youtube vidoes describing a knock vs. a tick. They are definitely different and should be discernable.

FWIW, I had a tick which sounded like it was at the VC near the timing cover. It turned out to be the turbo to exhaust gasket leaking and 2 of the bolts rattling around. I only discovered that after upgrading to 3g lifters for no apparent reason. :ohdamn:

Buy a stethoscope from Harbor freight for $6 and save yourself a lot of guesswork.

I dont think it sounds like a tick. It almost sounds like there is a bolt inside the head or something that is bouncing around

pffff?!! take the valve cover off if it sounds like a bolt bouncing around... Its not a big job at all

Well seeing as how its raining im not going to go out there right now. I was just posing the question before i started digging in.

I took off the valve cover and to me it seems like everything is normal...although i do think my valve cover is cracked but that is a different problem. Anyone else have any input?

It does sound a little like that. Except mine isnt at Idle. It only happens at about 2k or 2.5k rpms. The guy before me said he just had it rebuilt. Sounds like its time for a phone call...

Could it be the valves knocking and could this happen because my timing belt skipped a tooth?

mine did the same thing and it was a spun bearing. only did it at 3000 rpm in my case. the crank was fine but i'm sure the pieces of metal were all in the engine.

to test for spun rod this light simply start the car and pull a plug wire one at a time. while trying to keep the car reving around where it knocks. if the knock stops on one of the cylinders where there is no spark then its a spun rod bearing in that cylinder. you can really notice a change in knock when you reach the right cylinder if it is indeed the problem. i hope its something else

I develop oil in the spark plug galley all of the time, not sure why this happens (have tried everything to stop it LOL)

Rod knock can be very deceiving. Most times it starts sounding like lifter tick and gradually gets worse. The only issue with that is the time it finally becomes apparent that it's rod knock, your crank is usually done for.

Well if it is in fact rod knock, i do believe i caught it very early. I still have to test for it. Im also trying to sell it "as is" and if it isnt sold in the next few days im gonna pull the motor.

Any audible sign of rod knock usually means its too late. If it is a spun bearing, at the very least you'll need to pull the caps and inspect. Any scoring on the crank is not good. I'm crossing my fingers for you that it isn't rod knock, though.

I started it up again today. Checked the oil level before start up and it was perfect. Started it up and it idled at like 2k where it normally does when i first start it. It dropped down when it got warmer to probably about 1k. I started to rev it and it knocked a couple times, not constant like rod knock usually is. I pulled the plug for cylinder number 3 and it still did it. I pulled the plug for cylinder number 4 and it didnt do it at all. I still am not positive it is rod knock as it doesnt have the common signs of rod knock. My dad thought it might be a stuck valve?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tAIgcAwJIHs&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tAIgcAwJIHs&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

ever figure out what happened?
this

im having a very similar problem. except im also experiencing a sh!tload of blue smoke at high rpm/boost. thought turbo oil seals at first until i heard the knock. i dont think its a coincidence that i got the knock and smoke the same day?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back