The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

sorta new again DSMer....exhaust questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kalidsm

Probationary Member
May 29, 2017
Piscataway, New_Jersey
Hi all,
Recently bought a 1GB Talon AWD AT pretty much stock with low miles for a father and son project. I was curious since I haven't owned a dsm since 2003, what are the most popular exhausts these days? Are e-bay exhausts good for their cheap pricing (~$130) for a cat back and a downpipe (~$79)? I remember DP's being ~200 and cat backs ~500.

Also, for 1G if I use a 2G dp, does that eliminate the cat? So would would I just need a 2G dp and cat back and I'm good to go?

Also where can I find 1GB hoods either stock or carbon fiber???
Thanks!

It feels good to be back....I guess until something breaks! LOL
John

http://millerimportparts.com/ might have a hood for you. He is a very nice guy to deal with.
He might have a good used exhaust system too, just ask. Welcome back! :)

Bump for Miller Imports. Finding a hood may be tough for a stock one.. VIS and Carbonetics make some nice carbon fiber products though. Can't say much about the DP question.. as for the popular exhausts ebay IMO has always been a gamble but a friend of mine got one for his 3g that sounded really good but he also did a bit of research on the results he found before ordering. Megan Racing and Thermal R&D are really nice in what I've seen but if possible and you have the money get a custom madrel bent one, that'll probably run about 800 or more.

Well ebay it if you want, but you may have fitment issues, and sound may not be what you expect. The DP depending on which one may or may not delete cat. I got a quote the other day to cut my DP for a cat install. I provide the cat and flanges and they fit my thermal to the cat and then to the DP, for 50 bucks. This is a trust worthy shop that I have my welding done at as I don't have a welder (yet). I would suggest calling forced performance and see if they still provide exhaust and DP our 1g and 2g. they have a long and short option for keeping the cat or delete. It will be 2.5" at o2 housing and 3" back. You can also go onto extremepsi as they have exhaust systems.

as far as hoods go, google is your best friend.

I recommend the HKS Hi-Power exhaust. Its great. Gets loud when it is supposed to, not when just cruising like some obnoxiously do.
Ive been leaning towards the HKS one!

I got my hood off of my local Craigslist for $50! Needs some work but worth it imo, considering it came the same red, and I only had to drive about 15 miles to pick it up. Guess you can say I got lucky! Good luck!!

Attachments

• IMG_3395.JPG
    IMG_3395.JPG
    346.8 KB · Views: 42
My eBay exhaust (DNA) cat back and DP fit perfectly and sounds better than my apexi ws2. The cat back was $100 shipped but I got $20 back because of a small dent. The dp was $80. It's a freakin metal pipe. Machine welds,mandrel bends, etc. are the norm now for eBay exhausts. Just do some research to determine how many resonators you want as this has the biggest effect on sound. I get compliments on it all the time. Sounds deep and nasty, but not obnoxious.
Almost all aftermarket DPs are catless. If you need a cat for some reason it's usually cheaper to cut and weld a hi flow cat on than find a dp for a cat.

I just realized your from NJ, if you can't find a hood on CL contact my buddy Norbert, owner of dsmpartout in E. Stroudsburg. He usually has a few. Best way to get a response is through Facebook. Steve miller will have a hood, but you'll have to pay shipping.

I just realized your from NJ, if you can't find a hood on CL contact my buddy Norbert, owner of dsmpartout in E. Stroudsburg. He usually has a few. Best way to get a response is through Facebook. Steve miller will have a hood, but you'll have to pay shipping.
Yes, I've been in contact with him, but still waiting for a reply back from him. Thx!

I bought the ebay exhaust and modified it for my 1gb, check my build thread for pictures and information. overall I'm extermely impressed with it.

Basically buy it and run it. if you don't like how it sounds just cut the muffler off and pick a different one. If you want quiet without sacrificing flow check out moroso spiral flow for a muffler.

I've had.. probably close to 10 different exhaust setups on my car (mufflers/resonators) chasing a sound I like.. don't be afraid of exhaust work. it's just metal. If it's a father/son project and you don't have a welder you could buy a cheap one (150) from harbor freight and learn to weld together?

My eBay exhaust (DNA) cat back and DP fit perfectly and sounds better than my apexi ws2. The cat back was $100 shipped but I got $20 back because of a small dent. The dp was $80. It's a freakin metal pipe. Machine welds,mandrel bends, etc. are the norm now for eBay exhausts. Just do some research to determine how many resonators you want as this has the biggest effect on sound. I get compliments on it all the time. Sounds deep and nasty, but not obnoxious.
Almost all aftermarket DPs are catless. If you need a cat for some reason it's usually cheaper to cut and weld a hi flow cat on than find a dp for a cat.
Hi, sorry for the newb question , but can I just buy a catless DP and cat back (both from ebay) and expect them to bolt them together no problem??? Sorry last time I bought a performance part was in 2005. I'm just looking for an inexpensive turboback option and Ebay might be the way to go. I seeing DPs for $73 and catbac for $127!!!! Are these parts for real???

Also don't get a 2g dp for a 1g it probably won't fit. Most 1g dp's elimininate the cat.
I thought that most 1G dp's run up to the cat or test pipe and that a 2G dp will eliminate the est pipe/ cat section on the 1Gs??? Sorry but I have been out of the game for over a decade so not sure if most 1G downpipes eliminate the cat section. I just want to order to right stuff: if I get 1G dp and 1G cat back, will I be short on pipe since I am not running a cat? Or do I get 2G dp and 1G catback and call it a day..voila turboback exhaust? This is for a 92 Talon AWD Thanks!

Hi, sorry for the newb question , but can I just buy a catless DP and cat back (both from ebay) and expect them to bolt them together no problem??? Sorry last time I bought a performance part was in 2005. I'm just looking for an inexpensive turboback option and Ebay might be the way to go. I seeing DPs for $73 and catbac for $127!!!! Are these parts for real???
Try to get them both from the same place. I got my DP from speedy racer for $79 shipped and cat back from speed daddy/DNA for $100 shipped and they bolt up though not perfectly. I had to use thinner bolts because the holes didn't line up perfect. Ideally you could take both to a shop before hand and have them cut and weld a coupler there because almost every eBay exhaust bottlenecks at these flanges creating obstruction.

I thought that most 1G dp's run up to the cat or test pipe and that a 2G dp will eliminate the est pipe/ cat section on the 1Gs??? Sorry but I have been out of the game for over a decade so not sure if most 1G downpipes eliminate the cat section. I just want to order to right stuff: if I get 1G dp and 1G cat back, will I be short on pipe since I am not running a cat? Or do I get 2G dp and 1G catback and call it a day..voila turboback exhaust? This is for a 92 Talon AWD Thanks!

Yeah you can get 1g DP's that eliminate the cat. Here's one that specifically says, i'm sure there are others:)

https://www.extremepsi.com/store/product.php?productid=16305&cat=1378&page=1

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back