The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Something wrong, car won’t start after changing ring gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nguyen13

Probationary Member
Jan 15, 2023
Del rio texas, Texas
Change toothed ring, march

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I know that fwd and awd flywheels are different size, could you got wrong tooth ring installed by any chance?

The difference is the ring gear. Awd has less teeth and is physically smaller. You accidently put an awd flywheel in a fwd and it won't start. Starter won't catch.

If I recall correctly:

AWD: 106 teeth on ring gear
Fwd: 110 teeth

Mark one with whiteout or something visible then rotate the engine by hand using a 1/2" ratchet in the crank bolt and count the teeth. Mark every ten so you don't lose count.

If I recall correctly:

AWD: 106 teeth on ring gear
Fwd: 110 teeth

Mark one with whiteout or something visible then rotate the engine by hand using a 1/2" ratchet in the crank bolt and count the teeth. Mark every ten so you don't lose count.
That sounds right.

I've never bother to see if the flywheel itself is the same. Op if you took your fwd flywheel and install a new ring gear you should count the teeth. You'll know for sure then.

Are we sure it is a manual transmission car? I thought I saw a converter bolt in one picture.

It looks like the starter is biting the tips of teeth. You should bench test the starter. Make sure it extends all the way. Also noticed the engine/trans plate is dented outward around the starter area and might be causing the starter not to fully seat or sit straight.

It looks like the starter is biting the tips of teeth. You should bench test the starter. Make sure it extends all the way. Also noticed the engine/trans plate is dented outward around the starter area and might be causing the starter not to fully seat or sit straight.
I actually was thinking about this too, would make sense

Hmm.. he hasn't even described the situation.. Only info provided is the car doesn't start after replacing the ring gear.

He should mention what exactly "car won't start" means. Or upload a video. Starter grinding? Starter doesn't engage? Engages but no spin? Crank but no start? etc.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back