The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

something i need to get off my chest.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black95TSIawd

20+ Year Contributor
Jan 28, 2003
Dirty, New_Jersey
Please, if you are going to be stubborn or just a plain idiot, do not post in here and get it locked. I just need to get something off of my chest. I keep seeing pictures of our DSM's, mainly first gens, who cut up their front bumper to show their HUGE front mounts. I understand it opens up some more air to hit the intercooler, but sheesh its the ugliest thing i have ever seen. I mean some 2g's do it and its a little cleaner but still ugly as sin. The first gens are beyond ugly. And its usually the guy with a 32x12x4 ebay core with a 16g trying to get all of that air to hit up the core yo!?!! Whats going on here? I know the DSMer has to give off the vibe that we dont care if our cars are dirty or they rumble too much just as long as we get down the 1320 in time, but this is ridiculous.

It's function over form. To some people, that's more important. :cool:

I don't see a problem with it. I know what your saying, personally I don't like it that much either. But there isn't much you can do anyway. Plus if I spent that much money for a fmic I would want to show it off too. :) And don't be so harsh on us 1g guys.

SpYYder said:

yeah and i guess with those colosus intercoolers that the radiator is still properly functioning

I think you need to get over yourself and let people do what they want.

I know my bumper will be cut whenever I get a front mount.

Not much you can do when you don't like something on the basis of its looks. After all, it's your eyes telling your brain things don't look good, and I don't know which you'd try to convince first.
Just be courteous and choke back the rising bile.

I dunno dude I can kinda see your point, but on the 1Gs only. I love these:
1993eclipseGS's car...
3823Picture_0011-med.jpg

And the best looking hacked up bumper...
TSiGoesPsSsSst
21218spoolin4.JPG

who cares if you think its ugly, their timeslips prove otherwise. you want pretty, theres a pink civic right over there :tease: . if you are runing a big turbo like the guys with hacked bumpers, you need all the cooling you can get for the fmic.

Black95TSIawd said:
The first gens are beyond ugly.

Oh yeah....well 2g's are GIRL cars, how ya like that one huh..jk

Well you know what they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Yes, I have to admit that some of the hack jobs are ugly, but that's just because they were done poorly. But most of the time, I think they look pretty decent. As long as the driver likes the way it looks and/or performs than thats all that really matters.

Well haven't you seen Brents (Roastbeefs) job he did on his 1g? His looks great and he is pulling Sub 13's up here in the Mile High city! He's got some skillz. I think his looks pretty good.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

This letter from a SCC reader is a question regarding those big, ricey, front-mounts that all you guys love. It is from the July 05 issue and is on newsstands now, so go check it out for yourself if you don't believe me!

"I have a 1991 Lotus Elan M100 that I use both for everyday duties and club track days. I'm running a fair amount of boost (20psi) through a large Spearco intercooler that effectively blocks the better part of my radiator (an upgraded, thicker cored unit). On the street, I have enough airflow through both units to keep coolant temps to a stock level. On the track, however, by being on boost about 50% of the time, the intercooler is doing a great job keeping intake temps low (I know through datalogging), but it is heating the coolant.
I know you see lots of cars with huge intercoolers and I can't imagine I'm the only one with this issue. Do other cars you've seen suffer the same on the track, even at lower boost levels? I am curious about the Skylines and Eclipses I see with no radiator exposed and how they cope with coolant issues."

-Dave Meyers
Jolly Olde England

"Of all the cars you see with their noses stuffed full of intercooler, most are really show or drag queens that are never on boost long enough to have cooling issues. It's good to see somebody actually putting his big intercooler to good use. It would be nice if I could give you a formula to figure out how big an intercooler you really need..."

I 2nd this post, first off you can get thick horizontal FMIC's there isnt a need to get a big vertical one, and PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE if you're gonna cut your damn bumper make it STRAIGHT!

Make it look good not some uneven, ghetto, sawzall hack job which is what i see 99% of the time. How freaking hard is it to measure it an mark it so it comes out straight? If you cant do it PAY somebody who can, yea yea dsm is all about do it yourself well im sorry to say i think thats one of the major problems with these cars everybody thinks they're mechanics/bodymen/car stereo installer etc

Uhhh..honestly who cares? Its not your car so why do you car what the hell they do? So what if its ghetto, they have to drive it NOT you. I don't see what the big issue is it doesn't affect you in anyway. The worst hack job on a E/T/L front bumper couldn't compare to some of the ugly civics you see out there.

I don't see why some people think they need that big of a front mount. Look at the guys running 10 and 11 second e.t.'s with there little one's. There are guys around here running low 11's with a front mount thats not more than 8 inches high and it cools just as good as a big one. Some people just like to go overkill I think personally. You don't need a 4 foot by 3 foot by 18inch deep intercooler to have it work properly.

Come get some :sneaky:

10372Done_005.jpg

Or Dave's

Coup D E'Tat said:
Come get some :sneaky:

10372Done_005.jpg

Or Dave's

now thats hot!! :rocks:

I dont see the problem. Bumpers are cut away for functionality, it also opens up more air to the radiator rather then blocoking it with the bumper cover. If they dont take the time to make em nice its there own problem, they clearly dont care.

I dont really see a problem with how each person wants to mod their car. I also dont see why a 12" core is really needed either. Mine seems to do fine with a 60-1 and a 7.5" core at 24psi on 91 octane. I have trimmed my cover also just for the general pupose of cooling but it is also subtle. If you dont like it, get over it. I dont really care what you or anyone else thinks about it because its not a show car, its for drag and daily driving. Plus with a cut bumper, I went from 210* coolant temps to 196* coolant temps in traffic.

25683DSC00879.JPG

Here is a better pic

2568368575481_857394.jpg

it could also be to help with over-heating problems. My car overheats like a bi*** after I put the FMIC on. Altho I dont think i will ever hack up my bumper, I am working on doing a 2gb conversion.

a_scobel said:
I dunno dude I can kinda see your point, but on the 1Gs only. I love these:
1993eclipseGS's car...
3823Picture_0011-med.jpg

And the best looking hacked up bumper...
TSiGoesPsSsSst
21218spoolin4.JPG

Those are two great examples of "bigger isn't always better". The first one looks really bad with the pointed top, and the second one looks like some sort of whale coming at you.

both of the other examples are much better looking, infact I may end up opening mine up similar to the white car's if I have to at all.

^^ function before form..and black95TSiAWD when you run something better than a 14 or actually get a front mount, you can come race me in my hacked up "ugly first gen" and see what's up..(on the track of course :D )and for the record, i hate when people put cheap ass clear marker lights in their bumper , but do you see me making a whole thread about it.??

SpYYder said:

Function over form my ass. Do you see any cars in professional motorsports with a cut up bumper? Hell no. It's just plain ghetto.

So just because "professional" motorsport drivers don't do it, its not functional? ooook.

igs said:
Function over form my ass. Do you see any cars in professional motorsports with a cut up bumper? Hell no. It's just plain ghetto.

That's not entirely fair since not a ton of professional racing cars utilize a front mount and those that do often have custom fabricated bumpers to not only reduce frontal drag, but to also add cooling to the radiator and brakes all while attempting to provide more downforce. Not many people on the street can afford to go to those lenghts to get improved cooling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back