The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

MBC install [Merged 10-7]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b00sted99-X

20+ Year Contributor
Apr 24, 2002
Help_me_i_am_in_hell

HERE, DAMMIT!

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237982

ok n00b question here.. i got my MBC all hooked up fine (dejon tool.. sweet!) i'm just wondering what to do with the stock boost solenoid hoses.. i took the top one completely off (this is the one that was going to my intake pipe.. then capped that nipple on the pipe) .. the one on the bottom, that tees off and goes to both the wastegate and the turbo housing, is still there. i just bent it backwards and stuck it in the bracket that the top hose was at.. its still connected to the solenoid though. is this alright? can i leave it on there like that will it screw anything up?

Originally posted by the_jester
whats the home depot one???

well im not gonna tell u what one i made cause i havent tried it out and i dont want u to mess up ur car if it doesnt work right but heres a link of a guy that made one from home depot (his is a lot nicer than mine), but i got mine for free, so if it works i wont be complaining.

Originally posted by My99LaserAWD

well im not gonna tell u what one i made cause i havent tried it out and i dont want u to mess up ur car if it doesnt work right but heres a link of a guy that made one from home depot (his is a lot nicer than mine), but i got mine for free, so if it works i wont be complaining.

whoops almost forgot heres the link http://www.lotuselancentral.com/mbc.htm

I've been looking how to make MBC for the last month but Home Depot just don't have the necessary parts anymore and I ordered Joe P MBC yesterday. I'm really curious about yours.
One more thing the site for the Elans has a bleeder type MBC which works different than the spring type (which I think is everybody's favorite)

Originally posted by boosthappy
I've been looking how to make MBC for the last month but Home Depot just don't have the necessary parts anymore and I ordered Joe P MBC yesterday. I'm really curious about yours.
One more thing the site for the Elans has a bleeder type MBC which works different than the spring type (which I think is everybody's favorite)
i've noticed too that the spring type valve seems to be the prefferred.... why exactly is this??

They work much better.

The [all-to-common] bleeder-type controller bleeds some of the boost signal to the atmosphere resulting in slower turbo spooling. The manual boost controllers we sell send a signal to the turbo wastegate when the set boost level is achieved, not before, so boost builds more quickly and holds steady

I installed a few Aftermarket parts and now my car is at 17psi..ugh. I need to install my MBC to put it down to 15. No one seems to have a picture of what lines to tap off of for the 2g Eclipse. Anyone have any pics or how to to do it ( ihave searched but cannot find the right spot to T off of.. or the part to "cap off". :confused:

ok its VERY SIMPLE it took me about 10 min. to do so calm down.

1. REMOVE ALL VAC. LINES FROM THE SOLENOID, TURBO AND WASTEGATE.
2. CAP THE INTAKE AND TURBO INLET HOSES WITH 1/8TH CAPS (BUY AT PEPBOYS)
3. TEE BOV LINE (BUY TEE AT PEPBOYS)
4. CONNECT THE BOV LINE TO THE BOTTOM NIPPLE ON THE MBC
5. CONNECT THE WASTEGATE LINE TO THE OTHER NIPPLE ON THE WASTEGATE

THAT IS IT:dsm:

"4. CONNECT THE BOV LINE TO THE BOTTOM NIPPLE ON THE MBC
5. CONNECT THE WASTEGATE LINE TO THE OTHER NIPPLE ON THE WASTEGATE"

Other way around........at least for me and about 5 other people I know :thumb:

I am having a problem with my Hallman Pro MBC, it will only boost about 7-8 psi. I originally had a crappy homemade MBC bought from Ebay, and that was spiking too much, so I bought the Hallman. I had a shop install the homemade one when they were fixing my headlight, and they had one line from the MBC going to the wastegate actuator, and the other going straight to a nipple on the IC pipe. It raised boost just fine, but was spiking too much. I installed my Hallman the exact same way, but it won't raise boost at all. Should I plug the hole on the IC pipe and T the boost controller into the line that goes from the BOV to the intake manifold? Or is there something else it could be besides a boost leak, cause I double checked everything and that doesn't seem to be the case.

i "T" mine off the line between the BOV to intake manifold and the other one from wastegate acuator. Dont forget to plug the old lines ( on a 2G i plugged a nipple on the intake pipe and on the turbo)

I bought a manual boost controller for my car and would like some hints as to how to get it installed correctly.

The instructions that came with it were generic and not DSM specific. The first thing they say to do is to disable any factory electronic boost control system, I assume this means the BCS. After reading several the vfaq type articles I never once saw anything about disabling a factory electronic boost system, how do I do this or does it even apply? Also the gauge I have although it is one of those homemade ones it's not exactly like one of those Joe P style ones. It has two types of adjustments first a rough ball and spring thing then a more refined bleeder valve that vents to the atmosphere. Is the install the same as those other ones anyway?

Now if I under stand the install right the hose coming from the T connector between the BOV and intake pipe or from the IC piping is the pressure side, right? Is either way any better than the other?

Thanks ahead of time for any input you may have.

Originally posted by DSMSpyder99
i "T" mine off the line between the BOV to intake manifold and the other one from wastegate acuator. Dont forget to plug the old lines ( on a 2G i plugged a nipple on the intake pipe and on the turbo)

Would I be able to do the same thing for a 1G? I have a new intake pipe, so it doesnt have a nipple on the pipe, and I had the MBC hooked up to the IC pipe. So I should be able to T it into the BOV line and plug the IC pipe nipple and be good to go?

I'm curious as to why the 'proper' way of installing an MBC includes caping off the nipple from the compressor housing and tapping into the intake manifold for a vacuum source.

Why couldn't/shouldn't I just use the nipple off of the compressor housing? Wouldn't I get a quicker response as far as opening the wastegate?

Hey guys I was wondering if anyone has tried using the discharge nipple on the compressor as a pressure signal instead of the bov? I emailed Dave Johnson from Dejontool, he suggested using this source because no matter how much the thumbscrew is out, I seem to be getting the same amount of boost. I would assume it would work fine since the BCS utilizes this.

Originally posted by chris26969
I installed a few Aftermarket parts and now my car is at 17psi..ugh. I need to install my MBC to put it down to 15. No one seems to have a picture of what lines to tap off of for the 2g Eclipse. Anyone have any pics or how to to do it ( ihave searched but cannot find the right spot to T off of.. or the part to "cap off". :confused:

Umm... You guys DO realize that a MBC isn't going to lower boost pressure lower than the wastegate spring pressure, right?

You need to port your O2 housing and Wastegate out. Getting an MBC will NOT solve your problem. Once you take care of your boost creep, get one and set it for 15 PSI ;)

(Also, your wastegate actuator may be malfunctioning, check that out too. Once you find and fix the problem, then you can adjust the boost to where you need it.)

Yeah with my mods I think that I'm just getting creep. I did a couple of runs today with the thumbscrew quite a bit out, I was getting 14psi. I think that's fine for me right now.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back