The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Some people are just stupid...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohlegend

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 2, 2012
Pemberville, Ohio
So I finally got my GST road worthy!!! :hellyeah:I took it for a drive and when I got home and opened the hood smoke was rolling out. I started looking around and saw oil dripping from the pan onto my downpipe. So I just pulled the pan and the oil filter housing to put new gaskets on and seal them up good. I pulled the pan off and found a rod bearing! I about sh!t my pants! The previous owner had just put a new block in it before I bought it. So I checked all of my rods and they were all ok. So the guy who put the new block back on the car did not remove the old smashed bearing... I also noticed that there was no gasket on the oil pan either. the guy just slapped on a bunch of gasket sealant. No wonder it was leaking oil!:banghead:

Correct me if Im wrong.
In my knowledge most mitsubishis dont have a pan gasket, even the manuals say to use rtv sealer as a gasket! So that part of it is not so stupid! The bearing issue is as dumb as dog shit but.

You're correct. There is no gasket, per say. Its this grey rtv. thats what machine shops use when they assemble these engines anyway. Mine has the grey sealant and didnt leak a drop

PO's fault for not removing the peice.. just be sure that is the case, otherwise your into some trouble. Also, as everyone else has stated there isn't a gasket, just Grey RTV.

As stated above, the Grey is oil resistant as said on the label. So it's best to use that kind of RTV in oil applications.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back