The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

some issues

can use a 05 neon short block on a 96 Mitsubishi eclipse 420A head

• not sure

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • sure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slips69

Probationary Member
Oct 13, 2019
magee, Mississippi
Hi my name is shaun I have a 96 Mitsubishi eclipse gs 420A with some issue's. My car runs for 15mins and just dies, it'll start right back up but then dies. I've noticed that the cooling fans don't come on when engine up to temp and top rad hose very hot lower one cold to the touch. So I've replaced both coolant sensors checked the wires for week spots checked grounds, checked the relays replaced thermostat replaced radaitor, rad cap, water pump, cam sensor, crank sensor, coil pack, wires, spark plugs. Scaned the car and p1390 was shown but i accidentally erasesd the code. I believe that I have 2 issues a faluty ecm and a bad block cause a so called friend use a drimel tool on the surface deck around cylinder 1-2 so i need to know could i use a 05 block from a neon and two sould I buy a a/fx preformance ecu instead of factory one that i would half to take to the dealer and get reflashed?

You need to check it for a combustion chamber leak, go to Autozone and borrow the tool and fluid to check it with.

You need to check it for a combustion chamber leak, go to Autozone and borrow the tool and fluid to check it with.
Ok just done one and cylinder 1-2 are leaking. I figured where the guy used that drilmal was a bad idea. Well I'm about to pull this motor out I got a guy with a shortblock from an 05 neon, I've noticed the water and oil jackets are bigger but if I use the 05 headgasket and head bolts I should be able to swap over the timing components the cover and hb. The only reason is them motors are hard to find even at pull a part and one rebuilt is about 3k i work at a fast food chain so its a bit harder for me to save that up till i can do better this my only options.

well ive done a leak test this short block is shot. Ive been looking for a month now no one has that 420A engine in my area but a guy has a 05 shortblock fron a neon and i have a 96 420A engine now the water&oil jackets are slightly different but far as all the accessories look like it'll work. If not ill just rebuild the 05 short block to a complete engine and put it on ebay.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back