The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

*SOLVED*What's wrong with my car? Will not start..

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

always_broken

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 14, 2006
werx, Utah
Ok, before the problem happened my voltage has been reading pretty high. All started when I hit a dip. I tried cornening it but still scraped pretty nasty.

Well that day my voltage was reading 14.5, higher than my normal 14.1-14.2v...than the end of the day my brake light stays on. Next day voltage jumped to 15.1-15.2v and stayed, then dropped to 13.9v. Alternator light would fluctuate on and off. But car started up normal everytime until now. It's a 5 month old brand new alternator so before I jumped to that I changed the plugs, wires, and checked the battery.

Nothing happens. Fuses ok. The connection to the alternator is a little loose but will that affect start up? Coil pack is my next guess but with the symptoms I described earlier does that sound right?

After some reading I suspect the alternator. They said it could be the voltage regulator... So if my alternator is fried would my car even start?

Dang! Well battery reads 12.4 volts. Tried to push start it but nothing happens. Can a bad coil be the problem?

Well I calmed myself down and hit the basics of the car. I did the batter test, fine.

Spark plugs ok
New wires
Alternator good since battery would start it
Starter fine

So I went to the fuel section. To test the fuel pump, take the gas lid off and put your ear close to the gas tank hole. Have a friend turn the key to the on position and you should hear some whining, if you don't then the pump isn't operating.

My fuel pump is stock but I re-wired it. I didnt' bother to check the relay. With time one of the plugs had loosened and wasn't activating my pump. Re-done it and car started right up. Alternator still might be need to replaced soon but wasn't the cause of my car's breakdown. So I hope my experience helps somebody.

Just a note, checking for voltage on the battery will not really tell you if its good or bad, there is a different test to check for cranking amps. The voltage on your battery could read all fine and dandy but that wont tell you if its bad.

red turbo eclipse is right, a battery can have 13.5 volts and 10 amps that not enough to crank the motor, or engauge a starter, but it can turn a ignition on, idiot lights, computer, stereo, and then die when you crank the engine.

i agree i would take the alt and the battery down and have them tested its usually free and doesnt hurt to do :thumb: just an idea before you start going buying crazy on parts you dont need :p

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back