The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Crossfire 150R Buggy

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I know, I know.... Another non-DSM profile... Well I traded the Murray Explorer for this one.

I literally just picked up a hacked up Crossfire last week. And I was trying to sell the Murray on Marketplace for some extra cash to help build up the Frankenstein as I call it. While scrolling through Marketplace yesterday, I found a 2008 Tomberlin Crossfire 150R. He said he was willing to trade for "other motor toys". I said what the hell, it won't hurt to have another one. So here we are. I've got 2 of them. This one is all original and in good shape. The other one needs some love, but if you know me you know I'll give it what it needs plus some.

Last edited:
So the wiring harness that came on it was a generic $30 one that is a universal fit. I already knew that wouldn't work because all the connectors were different and some of the wire colors were different. I also knew the stock one wouldn't work because it was all cut up and burned up when he gave it to me.

Long story short, I had to make my own wiring harness. Once I got it hooked up, I pulled the plug, and there was spark. Yay. But then I put the plug in and try for a start, nope. Not getting fuel. Cleaned the carburetor, and now we're getting fuel, but we're getting too much fuel. It runs for 10 seconds and then cuts back off blowing a big black fuel smelling cloud.

I'm not even going to mess with the carb anymore. All the rubber hoses are dry-rotted and the electric choke doesn't even work. Plus there's no air filter so it's just sucking in atmospheric junk. I'm ordering a new carburetor and performance air filter with all new hoses and connectors. Then if it doesn't start I'll be tearing it down for a full rebuild. It would be the third engine build this year.

EDIT: it would be the fourth build this year.

Last edited:
Threw on the performance carburetor and filter. Ran on the first attempt. Took it down the street and it ran strong. But on the way back up the street the torque converter started slipping. It's trashed. Also noticed a decent sized cloud and smelled like oil.

As usual. I'm building another small engine. New piston, new rings, new valve seats, and whatever else is messed up whil I'm in there. I noticed Wiseco makes a high comp piston for this engine (GY6) so we might have some fun with it.

20200405_142710.jpg

Have you removed any valve guides Sol? Trevor popped a keeper off one of the valves and we bent that valve. Since I am automotive oriented, I said better look at the guide and make sure its not cracked and sure enough, it was so he ordered 2 bronze guides and some SS valves for the little 212 but the guide tool comes from China and will be a while before it shows up so I thought I'd ask the small engine guru!!! :thumb:
Thanks, Marty

Nice Progress!!! :thumb::thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back