The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well... Not a build update, but it's what happened.

Something happened with the air filter, maybe I didn't tighten it up enough, or maybe it just vibrated loose. It fell off and I ran it over. Luckily it happened in the parking lot, so I was going like 5 mph when I ran over it. I picked it up, and it looked pitiful. But I knew I had to have an air filter. So I bent it back to shape the best I could, cutting my finger in the process. I was able to at least get it back to shape enough to slide it back on the piping. Then I clamped it on really tight. Hopefully it lasts until I can pick up another one. I'm glad I chose the one with metal reinforcement, otherwise I would've been without a filter. That thing really is tough. I ran over it twice, once going forward, and once backing up to see what I hit.

GOPR0206.JPG

I had the same thing happen to one of my air filters shortly after I got my car. Mine however was not repairable. I think it got ran over by multiple cars.

Are you planning on changing the clutch soon?

Well, because of the stupid coronavirus, everything is cancelled for the next 3 weeks. That includes school and work, so I have a whole 3 weeks just to work on the Murray and the DSM.

Here's what's going on:
- The air filter should be here tomorrow. It was supposed to be here yesterday, but they lost my shipment :ohdamn:
- I was able to source a transmission mount on Marketplace for only $25, and I'm supposed to pick it up tomorrow.
- As soon as I make room in the garage, the DSM teardown begins... Obviously the clutch, TOB, fluid and mount will be changed. But I've also got a large vacuum leak and a minor oil leak that needs digging into. I think the OPSU is leaking, so I'm going to delete that stupid t-fitting I put on there and just run the straight gauge. And the vacuum leak will require some diagnosis. I'm tired of those.

I'll update more when I get some pics and real work done... And I have a lot of that to do...

Also Lassiter Mountain opens back up this summer. Assuming the coronavirus scare is over by then, I should be able to squeeze in a few runs and test my slow DSM.

Last edited:
Black'98dsm I can not help but to literately laugh my ass off when you said you ran it over twice! That's gold, anyways keep us posted on the clutch and air filter change.
I was laughing my ass off to Solomon.....run over it, back up (kathump, kathump....again) and give her a second smash just cracked me up. I love reading your updates!!!! ROFL :thumb: :)

No updates on the Eclipse yet guys, I've been elbows deep in building my karts and finishing up the disc brake swap on the Mustang. I promise to start on her very very soon though. I've got everything I need at this point so all I have to do is make some room in the garage.

Nice snag from the neighbor!!!

Here's a few of pics of what I'm doing. Putting this back in is going to be harder than taking it out for sure. Ask any questions you have. More updates coming soon.

20200322_170845.jpg
20200323_110446.jpg
20200323_110515.jpg
20200323_110525.jpg
20200323_110558.jpg
20200323_110613.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
The dealer recommends that you use their NV-T350 specific fluid or some Amsoil Synchromesh, both of which are pretty pricey. I did a bit of research and found that Mopar ATF+4 works really well, so that's what I bought. It was $25 instead of the premium for others.

You're not supposed to run gear oil in the NV-T350 because the stock synchros are made of a compressed fiber material, and if your trans has been rebuilt they are made of a brass material. And the gear oil could cause damage to both ot those types of synchros.

There's no telling how long that damn gear oil has been in there. 2 and a half years at a minimum though. I'm trying to decide if I should go ahead and press it apart for a rebuild, or if I should see if the new clutch and fluid will help it any. But it's a pain in the ass to drop this trans so I think I'll go ahead and get it rebuilt.

I got the new clutch installed. I also fixed my little oil dripping issues. I deleted the OPSU and the T-fitting I put in. Now I'm just running the oil pressure gauge straight out of the block.

GOPR0250_1585003511560_high.JPG
GOPR0252_1585003511560_high.JPG
GOPR0254_1585003511560_high.JPG
GOPR0255_1585003511560_high.JPG
GOPR0256_1585003511560_high.JPG

I know I know, I really need to wire tuck and A/C delete... that's coming at some point in the future...

Yep the atf is sometimes the fluid meant for SOME manual transmissions. My IROC 5 Speed T5 takes very special fluid from GM and it takes more than 2 but less than 3 or something like that at $15 a qt. Dam.
Will it help the syncros or are they shot do you think?
Pretty Pressure Plate! :thumb:

I'm rebuilding the trans... I'd hate to spend a few hours putting it all back together just to have some grinding gears. I'm hoping to only have to replace the 1/2 synchro. It's only $40.

And then, once everything is broken in, she should drive like a dream. :)

I just ordered a trans rebuild kit. Not the whole kit together, just a few separate parts. Like all the seals, bearings, and the 1/2 synchro. All the other gears didn't seem to grind so hopefully I can get away with only replacing one of the synchros. And maybe the new seals and bearing will stop the growling noise I've been hearing and stop the little dripping here and there.

Also, this morning I put the pressure washer to use and got the tranny looking clean and shiny. I probably removed 10 pound of oil and grease from it.

GOPR0257.JPG
GOPR0258.JPG
GOPR0259.JPG

Getting bored waiting on the trans rebuild kit to arrive.

Some say idle hands are the devil's workshop, but my idle hands become my workshop. When I get bored I find every last little detail to do. So today I got the pressure washer back out and the scrub brush and went to town with my wheels and the cross-member. They cleaned up very nicely.

GOPR0260.JPG

By the way ^ That is not my cat...

Will be doing something maybe slightly outrageous with my wheels as soon as I’m done with the current mess in the engine bay. Thinking of a wire tuck, and maybe eliminating a lot of the vacuum systems that are possibly unnecessary and cluttering the bay

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back