The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

• Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;) It will also allow you to view images in threads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

BLACK'98DSM

Proven Member
Feb 9, 2019
Alabama
I got the new clutch installed. I also fixed my little oil dripping issues. I deleted the OPSU and the T-fitting I put in. Now I'm just running the oil pressure gauge straight out of the block.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I know I know, I really need to wire tuck and A/C delete... that's coming at some point in the future...

1990TSIAWDTALON

Nov 14, 2013
Independence, Kansas
Yep the atf is sometimes the fluid meant for SOME manual transmissions. My IROC 5 Speed T5 takes very special fluid from GM and it takes more than 2 but less than 3 or something like that at $15 a qt. Dam.
Will it help the syncros or are they shot do you think?
Pretty Pressure Plate! :thumb:

BLACK'98DSM

Proven Member
Feb 9, 2019
Alabama
I'm rebuilding the trans... I'd hate to spend a few hours putting it all back together just to have some grinding gears. I'm hoping to only have to replace the 1/2 synchro. It's only $40.

And then, once everything is broken in, she should drive like a dream. :)

BLACK'98DSM

Proven Member
Feb 9, 2019
Alabama
I just ordered a trans rebuild kit. Not the whole kit together, just a few separate parts. Like all the seals, bearings, and the 1/2 synchro. All the other gears didn't seem to grind so hopefully I can get away with only replacing one of the synchros. And maybe the new seals and bearing will stop the growling noise I've been hearing and stop the little dripping here and there.

Also, this morning I put the pressure washer to use and got the tranny looking clean and shiny. I probably removed 10 pound of oil and grease from it.

BLACK'98DSM

Proven Member
Feb 9, 2019
Alabama
Getting bored waiting on the trans rebuild kit to arrive.

Some say idle hands are the devil's workshop, but my idle hands become my workshop. When I get bored I find every last little detail to do. So today I got the pressure washer back out and the scrub brush and went to town with my wheels and the cross-member. They cleaned up very nicely.

By the way ^ That is not my cat...

Oct 10, 2019
Savannah, Georgia
Will be doing something maybe slightly outrageous with my wheels as soon as I’m done with the current mess in the engine bay. Thinking of a wire tuck, and maybe eliminating a lot of the vacuum systems that are possibly unnecessary and cluttering the bay

BLACK'98DSM

Proven Member
Feb 9, 2019
Alabama
Going camping for the next 3 days. Thread will be ghosted until I get back and working (probably Sunday). Parts should arrive on Saturday, and I'll go get a press then. 20 ton press is the plan. They cancelled work and school for next week also, so I've got plenty of time to get it done.

BLACK'98DSM

Proven Member
Feb 9, 2019
Alabama
Now we're in trouble :shhh:.

The fun part is happening now. I got the gear stacks and shift forks out. Now I need to press them apart so I can dig into the synchronizers.

BLACK'98DSM

Proven Member
Feb 9, 2019
Alabama
I got the new seal overhaul kit installed on the tranny. I also got the inside of it cleaned as best as I could, and scraped the magnet clean. Also did some major degreasing in the lower engine bay where the tranny sits. Everything is almost ready to go back in.

Now, yesterday the gears decided they didn't want to let loose. So I located a shop with a 40 ton press, and they still didn't want to let loose. I've got to figure something out. These things are stuck on there!!

BLACK'98DSM

Proven Member
Feb 9, 2019
Alabama
Running into a few interuptions with the tranny. It will go smoothly for an hour, and rough for the next two.

Right not these 2 case bearings are what's holding me up. The one for the output shaft just doesn't want to go in straight. And I literally cannot provide a valid reason as to why the one for the input shaft won't go in. It is less than a millimeter away from letting me put the snap ring in.

I'll get it figured out at some point, but for now it's annoying me.

BLACK'98DSM

Proven Member
Feb 9, 2019
Alabama
I am in absolute relief.

Upon first assembly, it wouldn't go into first gear. I went pale faced for a moment. Tore it back apart, and found that I forgot to reconnect the reverse idler pin. It was getting hung up on the selector preventing it from raising to 1st. Fixed that, threw it back together, and woo hoo we have 1st.

Typed in 2 minutes, done in 2 hours.

And yes, I did get those bearings installed straight and the snap rings on. Time to put the tranny back in the car... And my back already hurts.

BLACK'98DSM

Proven Member
Feb 9, 2019
Alabama
My triceps are jelly, and my transmission is back in the car. Bench pressing and wobbling is what it took.

The ass pain is almost over. Just need to put shift cables and battery back in.

1990TSIAWDTALON

Nov 14, 2013
Independence, Kansas
Great Job Solomon!!!!!! :thumb:

BLACK'98DSM

Proven Member
Feb 9, 2019
Alabama
I got everything installed and trest drove it. Immediately I noticed the difference in the clutch pedal. Before it would press all the way down with minimal effort. But now, it's super stiff and I can actually feel when it engages and disengages. No more slipping either. So far 2nd gear works better than ever.

I wish I could get the 500 miles done this month, but with this quarantine stuff going on it could next month or the month after.

To say the least, I am very satisfied with where the build is. Still more to come in the future, but for now there's nothing else I could even ask for. It's the best 90's car I've ever driven.

silvreclips

Proven Member
Jul 19, 2005
Greenville, South_Carolina
What type of disc is that clutch? If it's just an organic disc, they don't really have a break in period. You can beat on them from the beginning. The only disc that really requires a break in, is a kevlar disc, you have to wear the fuzz off or you can glaze the disc

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned VR Speed Factory

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds